Michelle Obama on Trump: 'Clearly in over his head'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/17/michelle-obama-on-trump-cle.html

16 Likes

I think that’s perhaps the most savagely ruthless thing I’ve heard Michelle Obama say.

40 Likes

And I think she knows exactly how it will play with someone at the WH.

34 Likes

I wonder if Melania was “taking notes”?

17 Likes

Counterpoint from Melania Trump:

“Donald Trump is the wrong president for our country. He has had more than enough time to prove that he can do the job. But he is clearly in over his head. He cannot meet this moment. He simply cannot be who we need him to be for us. It what it is.”

melania-hate

36 Likes

I want leaders like this. This is what leadership looks like.

This is what sanity and decency look like.

No amount of orange cheap foundation can cover up your callous evil Trump, go to hell

26 Likes

Of course Trump is in over his head. He’s busy swimming to the bottom of the ocean.

18 Likes

i loved her speech, but honestly, i wish she had said these things one, two, or even three years ago. it’s all been evident this whole time… she and barack holding their tongues and going high has led to so much damage that they could have helped mitigate much earlier. i understand they were playing a political game, and they are the aces up the sleeve as it were, but they were playing by the old rules – this is a whole different game.

18 Likes

Barack and Michelle Obama didn’t let the country down by failing to stop Trump. The nation let the Obamas down by allowing Trump to come into power in a racist backlash against the first Black President.

If anything, we owe her an apology.

82 Likes

Honestly I feel the same way but I feel like anyone that publicly attacks Trump just gets an entire Senate retweeting against them.

I feel like part of being president doesn’t end when you leave the office if you really want to be remembered.

If you really want history to care about you it’s not what you do in the 4 or 8 years you have power, as much as what you do explaining what you should have done with that power for the rest of your life and holding the people to account after you.

This tradition of not going after past presidents has long been violated by the current one.

I think Obama tried to rise above the petty attacks but he didn’t do enough to point out the obvious and I wish she had because there hasn’t been enough same voices calling out the incredible ridiculousness at every turn so now it’s become normal.

10 Likes

You are right too.

I think both of you have valid points.

We as a nation have failed each other in too many ways, but the numerous leaders who are respected, they’re mostly dead…

All the sane stayed too silent, as the madness crept in. We just didn’t watch the door well enough

9 Likes

The venue was well suited to this calm and eloquent speech. The soundbites will provide a welcome contrast to what we are going to hear at the RNC “Build the wall!!!” “Lock them up!!!”

5 Likes

OT: Quick Spanish lesson
Saying S.O.C.K.S pronouncing each letter in English is the equivalent of “It is what it is” in Spanish.

12 Likes

12 Likes

“It is what it is.”

4 Likes

Full 18½-minute video: Michelle Obama delivers keynote speech from first night of the Democratic National Convention - YouTube

15 Likes

She’s my hero.

7 Likes

Your sane people didn’t stay silent. Every institution you have has been working tirelessly to continue in the very boring, very central, very damn stable process and procedure of governing. For a people that, well, we are told, hate government, you have very very significant government organs. Structures that outlast candidacies - and are built out of institutions that probably appear as traditionally right (the intelligence ‘community’ and the FBI) and broadly of the left (the EPA, the DHS, the Dept Labour)

If anything it’s incredible to see just how little power an imperial president has. I mean, in the immediate sense. The very real threat of inaction, I guess, is a real power - the power to destroy. But no real power to make anything other or new. No power to reshape or rebuild. Because every step of the way institutions have pushed back, and people have done what they are charged to do because government is boring and relies on continuity and predictability.

And the problem is, it’s never enough.

7 Likes

Have we slipped timelines? WTF is this?

26 Likes

It is. That a former First Spouse would say this in public even now is quite extraordinary and an indication of the crisis point we’ve reached for liberal democracy in the U.S. But yes, even playing it strategically it may be too little and too late.

13 Likes