Is the host of the new 'Gong Show' really Mike Myers?

But it was just terrible. I wanted to like it. I even remember how stupid the original show was.

No doubt. Of course it’s Mike Meyers.

How can anyone who’s seen or read anything about this show not come away knowing it’s Mike Meyers?
They have done so many things to let you know it’s Meyers… except literally saying “it’s Mike Meyers”.

And, adding to the ‘seen-before, Meyers-mannerisms’ and ‘rehashed accent’ mentioned by other commenters, the host also uses the term “cheeky monkey” semi-often which is a term from one of Meyers’ SNL characters (simon, a british child who shows his “drawrings” while in the bathtub)

ps - Saw the first episode and liked it.

2 Likes

The perfect deconstruction of the current wave of “talent” shows, 41 years in advance

1 Like

Don’t know that one. I’ll go find it.

really, just the first season. I loses it’s newness, and actually i found it to be a bit intense for a fake show show, in some ways. Don’t want to spoil a thing.

i was thinking, what if andy kaufman did fake his death and this is his return… in perfect mike myers prosthetics and a nuanced impersonation.

3 Likes

Did he start out with the Robin Williams mask, and go on from there. If so, he has more in common with the Halloween Mike Myers than I thought.

In memory of Garry Shandling.

Oh God. I thought as a society we’d at least solved the problem of Mike Myers.

Do not want.

For those of you who didn’t watch the Gong Show premiere last week: give it a try. I really, really enjoyed it.

The acts are pretty lame, and Mike Myers is okay, but what was really entertaining was watching Will Arnett, Ken Jeong, and Zach Galifianakis riff on each other and on Mike Myers’ schtick. I would watch a show with just the three of them goofing around any day.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.