Is the Klingon Bat'leth impractical?

Transporters break everything about Star Trek. They’re better ignored altogether. (Also, I’m fairly sure there isn’t any good episode in any ST series where the plot hinges on transporters.)

IIRC, you need to wear special insulating suits inside the stasis field, and if your suit fails, you fall over stone dead.

5 Likes

She’s just ageless, cause she’s Alfre Woodard…

Sundance Festival GIF by The Hollywood Reporter

10 Likes
7 Likes

“Rascals” was unapologetically hilarious. Especially the part where a de-aged Picard has to put on a temper tantrum.

13 Likes

Edit: @KathyPartdeux KathyPartdeux was smarter and faster than me and found the right weapon.

They had something like this. But somehow It was discontinued and become a collector’s item.

5 Likes

I said it was crazy SF, not rational SF.

3 Likes

11 Likes

22 Likes

Duh, if it was a straightforward, easy-to-use weapon you wouldn’t be as much of a badass to be able to use it for its intended purposes.

2 Likes

This is my second favorite Star Trek comic parody…

Here is my favorite though…

Here is the first one

#1 – You were dead the minute you fired on that holo-emitter.

And here is where it starts to get fun

#4 – It’s like holograms in your BRAIN

And then

#6 – The space station contains potassium benzoate

9 Likes

This discussion has prompted me to rewatch Picard before the 2nd season is released. Thanks!

5 Likes

I submit that mind-addled, shirtless Sulu is at least as much of a badass as any blade-wielding Klingon.

I mean, check out those abs. They’re more ripped than Worf’s forehead.

19 Likes

I liked Star Trek Next Generation Season 8 tweets.

5 Likes

It looks like a very impractical back scratcher

2 Likes

Up the Long Ladder

I’d call it racist. Within living memory of some of the people making that episode, the Irish had been treated as a non-white race in the US.

I’d say it’s not as bad as Code of Honor, but it’s definitely up there.

Giraldus Cambrensis has a lot to answer for.

6 Likes

The practicality of the Bat’leth has been dispatched early on, so let’s move onto the real important question…

Is a Bat’leth awesome?

The answer is yes.

5 Likes

It also sounds like @Brainspore is describing the episode Blood Oath which employs a dampening field so they’re forced to use melee weapons.

Gives one an excuse…

12 Likes

Because you’d have to resurrect an industry’s worth of infrastructure to make it happen.

From the short story “Johnny Mnemonic” by William Gibson:

These days, thought, you have to be pretty technical before you can even aspire to crudeness. I’d had to turn both those twelve-gauge shells from brass stock, on the lathe, and then load then myself; I’d had to dig up an old microfiche with instructions for hand- loading cartidges; I’d had to build a lever-action press to seat the primers -all very tricky.

6 Likes

Have you seen Roddy Doyle’s Star Trek?

It conflates the archetypal Dublin character played by Colm Meaney in Roddy Doyle’s Barrytown Trilogy (The Commitments, The Snapper and The Van) and Chief O’Brien. Most Dubliners find this pants-wettingly funny.

13 Likes

You could get a traditional firearm out of a replicator in seconds. Captain Picard once killed a Borg with a holographic Tommy Gun just by turning off the holodeck’s safety protocols.

13 Likes