Is this color blue?

Interesting - forgive my lack of color science knowledge. So would there not be a similar range of results if we did the red-orange or yellow-orange tests? Is there something unique about the green-blue dichotomy?

Beat me to it.

1 Like

I think there would be, yeah. Just if you did a red-yellow test I think you’d get a lot of people saying “this is dumb, this is clearly not red or yellow but orange”. And it seems funny to me that the same level of subdivision hasn’t happened on the other side of the spectrum.

2 Likes

Linguistics is one thing that sets blue and green apart from other color couples.
Off the top of my head:
Midori is modern Japanese for green, but classically the word aoi would mean both blue and green.

Disclaimer: I do not speak Japanese. I just watch too many anime. This particular fact I know because of this.

2 Likes

Yes.

http://racco.mikeneko.jp/Kougi/2022s/JPN/2022s_jpn02.pdf

3 Likes

… when I do the test the main thing I notice is whether each hue is greener or bluer than the previous one, not whether it matches some objective standard of greenness or blueness

1 Like

So many fun questions involved. Psychology, linguistics, culture, ecology where you grew up, colorblindess, tetrachromacy.

And then of course the one I half thought it was going to be about: do we all experience the same color-quale when observing a frequency in the range we classify as blue?

164 the first time (really green), 171 the second.

For me, turquoise is aqua. :person_shrugging:

1 Like
5 Likes

Ehm, yes?
That’s exactly the link in my post!
How does the coke thing work?

5 Likes

I was trying to specifically link to the Celtic languages bit, and while I read your comment (clearly), I hadn’t followed the links (also clearly).

I blame too much blood in my caffeine stream. Or something.

open knowledge swimming GIF

6 Likes

Our sense of taste varies according to metabolic/physiological conditions. Why not our sense of colour too?

I remember a cousin who 40 years got a PC for the first time, the type where the screen shows green type on black. She was fascinated and played for hours, figuring out how to make it work. When she finally stopped, the world looked pink because the rhodopsin receptors in her eyes were so weary of green.

2 Likes

I did this on my monitor that I’d forgotten I’d tinted for Irlen’s related sensitivities. Oops.

1 Like

Yes. We’ve tuned our colour TVs and computer monitors for the three types of colour receptors in human eyes. Dogs, like most mammals outside the primate group, only have two types of colour receptors, so the colours on TV don’t look right to them. (Contrary to a popular myth, dogs are not colour-blind.)

On another tangent, Stephen Jay Gould turned out many wonderful essays on our species’ obsession with trying to split things into distinct categories, like alive/dead, plant/animal, and fish/amphibian/reptile/bird/mammal and how evolution consistently managed to create things that confounded all our attempts to draw unambiguous borderlines. If he were still with us, he would have had fun with this one, what with colour being continuous and our names for colours being discrete.

2 Likes

I am Incurious Yellow. I can sign up for the Druid Character Class with my Neutral Alignment.

4 Likes

Another 171 here. It’s odd to be this much in tune with the majority opinion.

6 Likes

I suspect my screen was playing tricks with me (dinamic range) because presented with the gradient I would put my blue much more to the left.

3 Likes

i changed screen to “print mode” and got hue 178, almost middle of the gradient, more in line of what my personal perception of green is. I suspect my screen was changing the “blueness” of my screen to appear brighter and more colorful :confused:

That’s because this thing does not make sense. Something between blue and green is not blue or green, it is something between blue and green, which is not an option to select. Premise fail.

2 Likes

What about teal?