Is this the weirdest pop song intro of all time?

Originally published at: Is this the weirdest pop song intro of all time? | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Music nerds. Love’m.

3 Likes

Yeah. If i were any kind of musician, i probably would’ve watched more than a couple minutes of that.

I always thought it was also weird that Reelin in the Years starts with a guitar solo.

12 Likes

I gave up on guitar, but man this person brings big smile to my face. I’m definitely adding this channel. Thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

steely dan was always a musician’s band. they had hits but they were most loved by other musicians. beato explains why in that video/

18 Likes

One thing about Rick, he always helps me appreciate music I may have somewhat overlooked in the past. Case in point, Steely Dan. Never really got into them, just one of those bands I heard on the radio from time to time and thought “that’s fine.” This really helps understand how accomplished they were/are (I believe one of the founders has passed away).

9 Likes

Yes, I’m aware, thanks.

2 Likes

Steely Dan is so great. A lot of their songs could be “weirdest of all time.” I remember listening to King of the World for the first time and being blown away that they soloed over an odd melody over an atypical chord progression. I could listen to the solo over Time Out of Mind all day too, although those chords are more conventional.

Anybody here listen to Jacob Collier?

7 Likes

On the Steely Dan point, Rick Beato does good breakdowns of the solo in Kid Charlemagne and the dual solos in Aja. (There are other breakdowns of those two solos elsewhere on youtube that are worth checking out).

2 Likes

I saw “weirdest pop song intro” and “Steely Dan” and that doesn’t narrow down the possibilities.

My first guess was Reelin’ In the Years (begins with a long guitar solo), 2nd guess was Peg (just starts pretty random)

Outside of Steely Dan I’d nominate this one. Not the same reasons as Beato chooses Josie, there’s no “unusual chords” just a chaos of bass and drum effects before it settles into a fairly straightforward cover of Bang a Gong

7 Likes

Good stuff - I’ll have to watch those later. Aja is just such a phenomenal album. Honestly, it was such a travesty that it took as long for them to win their first Grammy as it did.

8 Likes
7 Likes

I can’t hear that song without laughing…

1 Like

Ha! I just got around to reading the comments. You beat me to Reelin’.

Always post first, read comments later, I say.

1 Like

Watching Beato’s videos always makes me ashamed that I didn’t try a little harder in 4th grade recorder class.

5 Likes

What I enjoyed most about that is that he (also) calls the dominant seventh sharp ninth “the Jimi Hendrix chord” like everyone I know.

Good to know that’s universal.

5 Likes

No weirder than the odd hanging sustained chord at the beginning of “Hard Day’s Night”, just more involved.

1 Like

Pop? No. It’s jazz.

There are no rules in jazz. Don’t even try to explain it.

5 Likes

I always loved this song. Had no idea it was considered weird; but I’m not a musician.

7 Likes

Love Steely Dan, but as a guitar player, I always had the idea that Becker/Fagen were just screwing with me. Sure, you want to make up a couple of unusual chords in a song? Okay.
But thirty? What’s the motivation? To make sure no one can cover your music? To sound more jazzy?

Great to listen to, punishment to play.

4 Likes