Is trypophobia a social contagion?

3 Likes

6 Likes

I’m squicked out by images of holes in human skin. Yet Internet has already desensitized me to a lot of nightmare-inducing stuff.

I’m also squicked out in the same way by some completely abstract, moving geometrical patterns. Things that other people commented were beautiful abstract art, that I found nausea-inducing.

That was long before trypophobia was a trend. I don’t think it is fair to describe as a 100% social phenomenon.

2 Likes

I have been squicked out in the past by such images, but I can see how the constant reinforcement of the revulsion response would reinforce and exacerbate the condition across society.
We are social apes, we learn what is good and what is bad for us from our society.

2 Likes

Hmmm; a bit reminiscent of Georgia O’Keeffe’s ahem “florals”, but I don’t know that it would trigger trypophobia or philia.

6 Likes

Trypophilia: the love that dare not post its meme.

I guess that the ultimate weaponized trypophobia meme could be “Clowns with holes in their faces!”

6 Likes

I’m not going to google it, but there was a horror hentai manga story I think just called “holes” and it was a fucking nightmare!! If you really have Trypophobia, do not look it up.

1 Like

Hey! Thalassophobia trigger warning please!

2 Likes

Weird, I know exactly what condition the guy obsessed with Gambian vet videos was talking about, because I also think about it often since I first saw it. I don’t watch the videos several times a day, though. Eesh.

1 Like

It seems that modern culture is phobiaphilic

3 Likes

“Dinner’s ready!”

7 Likes

Coulrotrypophobia? Trypocoulrophobia?

1 Like

That makes me want to pull out pen and ink and draw tiny circles.

1 Like
5 Likes

What about button holes?

tumblr_nwj4v8QYPd1tvu82ro1_500

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/koumpounophobia

1 Like

Ducking in here to say that trypophobia is absolutely real and I have had it very strongly since I was a very small child (20 years before the internet). When seeing images such as Rob created for this article, I will often have trouble eating and sleeping for days. I can’t shake the crawling feeling all over my skin. Please think about this when posting your “fun” images. I’ve avoided any other posts in this thread since I saw people are posting images. I won’t be back here for that reason, but please be considerate. Just because you don’t think something is real or you don’t think it is a big deal (or is just “fun”) doesn’t mean it is that way for everyone.

3 Likes

NOMNOMNOM!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.