Is your Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher as nifty as this one?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/20/is-your-eierschalensollbruchst.html

6 Likes

Asking how my Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher is doing is just rude! I don’t even know you!

10 Likes

It’s interesting how a little German here and there can hint at your CSS.

6 Likes

Oh god. I’m still working on learning German pronunciation. This just made a part of my brain curl up and hide in a little corner.

16 Likes

Wow I’ll bet this unitasker has 1001 uses!

7 Likes

Etymology
Eierschale ‎(“egg shell”) + Sollbruchstelle ‎(“predetermined breaking point”) + Verursacher ‎(“causer”).

25 Likes

Here you go!

Pronunciation: /ˌaɪ̯.ɐˌʃaː.lənˌzɔl.brʊxˌʃtɛ.lənˌfɛɐˈuːɐˌza.xɐ/

I think it’s Klingon or something.

17 Likes

Just break it down into chunks and work on each chunk.

9 Likes

I use it while listening to Einekleinenachtmusik1 in Eyjafjallajökull.

1Yes, I know.

8 Likes

Just like eating an elephant.

11 Likes

My condolences.

10 Likes

Every other time until the 500th time, at which point it explodes.

You’re keeping count, right?

5 Likes

Apparently, according to my fiancee, I have a pronounced and vaguely Russian accent when speaking German. I think it is from Yiddish cross-contamination.

13 Likes

Probably. I can understand Yiddish, but it sounds like idiosyncratic and accented German to me. The accent and some of the words sound sort of Eastern European to me. Yiddish has zh and hard j sounds that don’t exist at all in German, and Yiddish doesn’t have anything even close to ö and ü. But to be fair, American English doesn’t have a ü sound, and no English has ö.

8 Likes

I use egg scissors at 1/4 the price of this. Faster, too, though they sometimes leave bits of shell still attached to the edge.

3 Likes

Intriguing gadget. But what intrigued me more was the whisky decanter next to the kettle and egg preparation area - clearly breakfast in that household is a proper kick start to the day…

7 Likes

10 Likes

Too twee for me.

Funny you should say that. In my experience, most people who learned German as a second language sound a bit russian, or, at worst, hitleresque to me. It’s probably because they try to pronounce it very correctly, rolling every “r” and stuff, which noone actually does (except russians and weirdos on the german north coast). Especially the farther south you go, the more people tend to swallow letters and mush the words a bit together.

For what it’s worth, I have to try really hard to say Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher out loud. Basically a tongue-twister. As a kid I loved “Blaukraut bleibt Blaukraut und Brautkleid bleibt Brautkleid”, I could never do that more than five times in a row or so.

Also, Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän (real word).

5 Likes

I once got a contraption from a now closed london oxford street store and it too was the business but someone in my family decided to throw it away…

just don’t ask me why :slight_smile: