Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

Horrible story about a music festival:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/oct/08/israel-hamas-war-live-updates-palestinian-attack-october-2023-gaza-conflict-hostages-latest-news?page=with:block-652315628f08584119dd29d1#block-652315628f08584119dd29d1
The footage is just people running so nothing that will shock you.

Times of Israel criticising Netenyahu for supporting Hamas for years. His big plan was to screw over the Palestinian Authority and supporting Hamas meant he had nobody to negotiate peace with. They also used the army primarily for occupation and oppression leaving it not massed in the south at all.

13 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks for starting this, @robertmckenna! Looks like we might be in for a long haul conflict here… :sob:

I wanted to share this from Guardian’s live feed… It’s from the Palestinian minister of foreign affairs:

The declaration of war by Israel, the occupying power, on a civilian population it has been illegally and forcibly occupying and oppressing for decades is a continuation of its record of criminality and impunity. This is reinforced and affirmed by Israeli officials who have issued genocidal and hateful calls for ethnic cleansing publicly and unashamedly.
The scenes of devastation inflicted on Palestinian civilians in the Gaza Strip are harrowing. The international impunity Israel enjoys is a moral, political, and legal stain affront to humanity and basic decency as well as the principles of international law. Any attempt to excuse or cover these crimes is unacceptable and outright reprehensible. The facts are not in dispute. Israel, as an occupying power, is fully responsible for this situation because it insists on keeping the Palestinian people captive and stripping them of their rights for over half a century.
Israel has illegally used force and the threat of force, confiscation of land, persecution, collective punishment, and reprisals to deny the Palestinian people their fundamental rights and serve the common aim of displacing and replacing the Palestinian people, in violation of their right to self-determination and other peremptory norms of international law.
We are in this situation because the world failed to do what is needed and turned its back on Palestinian rights. Simplistic statements that omit Palestinian lives and rights and encourage their violation have to stop. As an occupying power, Israel has no right or justification to target the defenceless civilian population in Gaza or elsewhere in Palestine. Reprisals against civilians in armed hostilities are illegal under international humanitarian law and must stop.
In view of the open war declared by Israel on the Palestinian people in Gaza and the critical and ever-worsening situation of the Palestinian people under Israel’s colonial occupation and apartheid regime in the rest of the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, the international community must immediately intervene and provide international protection to the Palestinian people and end Israel’s barbarous campaign of death and destruction.
The international community must also act on their collective political, legal, humanitarian, and moral responsibilities towards this prolonged injustice. It has a responsibility to promote accountability, which is the only viable remedy for this illegal, abhorrent situation. The Palestinian people will continue to defend themselves, their homes, and their fundamental right to live in freedom and dignity, free from occupation, apartheid, and persecution.

[ETA] In addition to the Guardian’s live blogging, here is the one from Al Jazeera…

And their live stream from youtube…

12 Likes

Finally they are interviewing some Palestinian authorites. When I say they, I want to say the western media.

12 Likes

Well, Al Jazeera has, and when they played the BBC news hour today on my NPR station, they indeed interviewed some PA folks… i think this comment came from the PA website, though.

6 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
20 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes

9 Likes

It’s so easy to leave…

10 Likes
6 Likes

Yes. I was wondering how these people will leave and where would they go. I am not sure If the Egyptians authorities would let a caravan of refugees enter the country.

9 Likes

3 Likes

Can we not have piles of unreliable Twitter posts in here, please?

It’s run by an untrustworthy hateful racist, none of it is verifiable by users here, and six or ten links at once isn’t something we can reasonably respond to, either. Comment is one thing, but dumping multiple unreliable views at once during a time of conflict helps nobody, and nor does it keep us informed.

15 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Marge is on top of it, she wants serial numbers from the weapons the terrorists are using so she can trace them back to Biden.

Her and the rest are also making sure we get more guns because it could happen here.

She also pointed out that the terrorists over there look a lot like BLM protesters.

And the head loon is telling his supporters the world was at peace when he was president.

On a side note, we just ordered some nasal spray form a company in Israel, they sent me an email saying due to security concerns the order may be delayed.

I responded my order is not even close to being imoortant, it doesn’t matter when or if I get it.

Can’t imagine how people go about life in that situation.

7 Likes
4 Likes