Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

Sunday

1 Like

“new,” as opposed to all those other settlements

which are fine :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Blinken said “They’re also inconsistent with international law,” which can be read as referring to settlements themselves, not just the expansion of settlements. Before Trump, the US government’s position was that settlements are illegal.

“They’re also inconsistent with international law. Our administration maintains a firm opposition to settlement expansion, and in our judgment this only weakens, doesn’t strengthen Israel’s security,” Blinken said.

In November 2019, Trump’s then secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, announced that Washington no longer viewed Israel’s settlements on West Bank land it captured in the 1967 Middle East war as “inconsistent with international law”, a reversal of four decades of US policy.

2 Likes

“illegal” in that peculiar sense where there are no consequences for the “illegal” behavior, no matter how long it goes on :thinking:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Other reports describe the protester as active-duty air force personnel, in uniform.

4 Likes
4 Likes

3 Likes

The BBC report, last updated two hours ago, says that he is in critical condition.

1 Like

I feel the BBC article that seems to omit much of the info we know is a bit
 too succint (why omit the name, for example?) - I can see the guardian does the same
 is this something common in british newspapers?

The burn victim, who identified himself in video of the incident as 25-year-old Aaron Bushnell, reportedly succumbed to his injuries on Sunday night, according to independent journalist Talia Jane, who posted on social media that she is in contact with Bushnell’s family and friends.

1 Like

Yes, the British media do not publish names in situations like this.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Weirdly I just got this.

US Air Force man dies after setting himself on fire at Israeli embassy

3 Likes
1 Like

ETA

2 Likes

Congress members are calling for Lula’s impeachment because of statements that created discomfort in the Israeli Government.

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes