Israel versus Palestine, Lebanon, Iran, Syria, aid workers, and journalists. 2023-24

“We need two million people to leave. That’s the solution for Gaza.

Ugh, what a monster. I wonder why she left out the word “final.”

4 Likes

Is there a path back from the brink for Israel and Palestine?

Under the blinding influence of fury and revenge after the October 7 attack, Israel has waged a relentless war in Gaza which killed more than 11,000 Palestinians and displaced more than 1.5 million people.

But beyond its stated aim to eliminate Hamas, there seems to be no plan for what happens the day after, or what would stop the wheel of violence from continuing to spin.

This week on The Big Picture podcast, we sit down with former Israeli negotiator and analyst Daniel Levy, who now heads the US-Middle East Project.

Levy argues that despite the terrifying language now normal within Israeli society, there is still an offramp, and even a road to peace.

Gaza has become a moonscape in war. When the battles stop, many fear it will remain uninhabitable

1 Like

Sometimes a single image can define a generation

2 Likes
1 Like

The Israeli Trail of Tears.

https://twitter.com/LailaLalami/status/1728090334377193839

The poet Mosab Abu Toha, who was abducted by the IDF and then released describes his treatment.

https://twitter.com/MosabAbuToha/status/1728019939225722955

I’m safe but still have pain in nose and teeth after being beaten by Israeli army.
I gave them all my family’s passports, including my American son’s but they didn’t return anything. Also my clothes & my children’s were taken and not returned to me. No wallet, money, credit cards

Nice how they blame the people TRYING TO RETURN HOME for the IDF shooting them… :rage:

2 Likes
1 Like

:thinking:

Palestinian families rejoice over release of minors, women | AP News

Hamas frees 24 hostages in exchange for 39 Palestinian prisoners | AP News

Wait. Were the people Israel released not prisoners convicted of crimes?

Edit:

Scanning the list more than a few went through military court rather than civil and I’m not even sure all of them were convicted. The charges seem to range from suspicion of supporting terrorism to murder.

Yeah, some of these are bullshit.

Edit 2:

Actually looking at the list of people Israel is releasing, the vast majority haven’t been convicted and had been arrested in the last two years - many in the last few months.

In the same way that Black Americans are more likely to be detained prior to trial sometimes for years, or be railroaded into pleading guilty to crimes they did not commit, maybe… It’s an apartheid system, so it’s not exactly a system of justice as opposed to a system of maintaining the status quo.

https://www.btselem.org/statistics/detainees_and_prisoners

Aseel Osama Shadeh, 17, was arrested this month after carrying a Hamas flag to a protest at the notorious Qalandiya checkpoint between Ramallah and Jerusalem – an offence under Israeli law.

According to the Palestinian Prisoners Society, 7,200 prisoners are being held by Israel, among them 88 women and 250 children aged 17 and under. The plight of prisoners is a key issue for Palestinians: at least four in 10 Palestinian men spend at least some time in their life in Israeli prisons.

Jessica Montell, the executive director of HaMoked, said: “Some [on the list] have been convicted; the bulk of those to be released are detainees still awaiting trial, on charges that range from incitement to stone-throwing to attempted murder.

4 Likes
3 Likes

The only reassessing I’m doing is deciding if he belongs in a lower circle of hell.

2 Likes
1 Like