It's a bat, man: prankster releases actual bat at The Batman screening

Great! Now the comments are going to fill up with people raven about spoilers!

5 Likes

They’re cute too!

5 Likes

I find myself recycling random tidbits from memory and using them in the context of parenting (or pet ownership). This is one of 'em, delivered in as close to the same tone of voice as I can get. For example:

(Cleaning up cat piss)
“I hope you’re proud of yourself”
(invariably followed by “Dad can we get another cat?”)

We watched Big Lebowski with our 16-year-old (figuring it was time), and when it got to “Yeah, well, you know that’s just like, uh, your opinion, man,” he turned to me and said “oh, that’s where you got that!”

5 Likes

9 Likes

Massively so. I dig them.

I don’t want to diss them. I just know a guy who went into a bat-cave in Venezuela, doing work on spiders which live there.

He came back to our lab. Didn’t feel so well after a couple of weeks. When I saw him again, and asked where he had been off to the last three or so months, I assumed he had been on another field trip.
He had been in hospital for ten weeks. Caught a lung infection from the bats in that cave, and a fungal superinfection from the bat feces on top of that. He really didn’t look so well.

Since then, I’m a bit careful around bats.
However, I did work in some very poor African countries, and had several close encounters. Some of them were so cute I almost forgot my cautious approach.

6 Likes

I had a similar experience, had gotten home late one night and was doing some browsing or gaming or something on my computer in my living room only to be startled by something out of the corner of my eye. I quickly discovered it was a bat that had somehow worked its way into my house (my suspicion was that there were probably a number of bats in the attic of this particular house and one had come through a hole that had recently been knocked in the ceiling). I managed to catch it with a laundry basket and snap a photo before releasing the bat off my balcony.

2 Likes

AAAAAUGH. NO.

This is how America has turned into the security theater (so to speak) police state that it now is. You can’t go anywhere anymore without some mall cop going through your purse and metal detecting you.

This is a massive overreaction to one mostly harmless prank done one time in one place (if it even was a prank- bats happen). If there was some epidemic of people releasing bats in theaters, maybe time to look at such measures. What they should have done? Nothing. Send a press release saying, “Hey folks, please don’t do that.”. That worked through all of time until 9/11 when America decided “more police state” was the answer to everything.

Please America, stop putting in draconian and permanent measures for every little thing that happens.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.