It's a bat, man: prankster releases actual bat at The Batman screening

Originally published at: It's a bat, man: prankster releases actual bat at The Batman screening | Boing Boing

3 Likes

What a jerk. The poor thing was probably terrified.

29 Likes

Just be thankful this jerk didn’t get the same idea for Black Panther.

22 Likes

Ditto The Wolverine.

19 Likes

In Austin, Texas on Friday, a prankster released a live bat during a showing of The Batman.

The article says the manager believes this is what happened – Are they sure it was a prank? Austin has a huge (largest?) urban bat colony. It’s not out-of-the-question that local fauna might find its way into a building…

When we used to watch movies in Hogg Auditorium* at UT, more often than not there was at least one bat buzzing the screen. (This went particularly well with Nosferatu the Vampyre.)

*(but, granted, I don’t remember this happening anywhere else)

19 Likes

In the UK that may well have resulted in a prosecution. Bats are a protected species here.

7 Likes

Where the hell is Ozzy when you need him?

5 Likes
6 Likes

Beauty.

3 Likes

Having lived in Austin for several years, I find this plausible. Our pedicab company had a bat get into one our storage units once.

ETA: I also used to work with a guy in Austin whose wife worked at the Bat Refuge there. Good person.

9 Likes

I really hope that is the case and not animal abuse.

I am totally smitten with the baby bat rescue videos.

13 Likes

Banned from Austin.

5 Likes

2ffa70be-29be-4d1f-add5-3116efea9275_text

6 Likes

Here’s a bat to use on pranksters who abuse bats

7 Likes

I thought it was San Antonio, after he “marked the Alamo with his scent.”

3 Likes

Someone had a strange takeaway from the Schitt’s Creek finale…

5 Likes

Be thankful it wasn’t 30-50 feral hogs

6 Likes

You’re right. My bad.

Just FTR, these are fruitbats. Sub-order Yinpterochiroptera inside the Chiroptera. The path of those and the Yangochiroptera, i.e. the bats most people associate with the batman diverged maybe some 63 million years ago.

I, for one, don’t want to be with either in a closed room, unless I have proper PPE.

5 Likes

I once found myself in a closed room with a bat! It fell down the chimney.

I then found myself in an open room with a bat, as it felt that flying laps around the ceiling was better than trying the newly opened windows.

Eventually, it tired and landed. When we grabbed it and got it over to one of the windows, my PPE consisted of a pair of salad tongs. (I think we threw out the salad tongs, as we’d never used them before and didn’t foresee needing to catch another bat with them)

5 Likes