It's a Mad Mad Mad Max Fury Road - Trailer

I accept that, like with many movies, it can appear dated. Especially to generations now used to a much faster, quick-cut pace and more risque or gross-out humor. Plus, like a lot of old classics, many of its bits and styles have been duplicated and refined over the years, so there’s likely a “seen that before” quality to it. (People probably said the same thing about this movie, for that matter. So it goes…)

Still I honestly don’t know how the movie can’t be appreciated as a near perfect example of the madcap comedy genre–with genuine hilarious moments and great performances by some amazing comedic icons of the time. Definitely not something to put on with a bunch of college kids in the room, though–I imagine even in 1963 that wouldn’t have flown. I showed it to my kids when they were in the 8-10 age, and they loved it–sadly, much older and I think they would have felt the humor was too tame while still being too young to appreciate it’s other qualities.

The day the next generation fails to appreciate “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”, though, is the day I write 'em off for good.

2 Likes