"It's actually healthy for us!" -- Marjorie Taylor Greene touts the benefits of global warming

If actively working to destroy the planet one is currently living on isn’t a sign of genuine stupidity then I don’t know what is.

12 Likes

Of course they are. But this idea that we need to avoid saying things that are obviously true because all discussion is about messaging rather than reality is nonsense that has never gotten us anywhere.

Pretending Trump’s support wasn’t racism, pretending people like Greene aren’t idiots grandstanding for the camera…it’s all demanding we ignore the evidence of our eyes and ears. Who has that kind of self-delusion ever helped persuade?

11 Likes

Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

8 Likes

I can think of several disadvantaged groups that lose from unrelenting name calling by the far right- who certainly benefit from that. Money raised- adherents mobilized- more power.

9 Likes

Feels more like self serving sociopathy to me.

1 Like

Observing that their statements are those of a stupid or delusional person – which is what most of us are doing – is just wielding Occam’s Razor. Whether or not she really believes what she’s saying is beside the point.

2 Likes

Yeah, I used to wonder if they believe their lies, but now I realize they only need to believe their statements will win them votes and favor.

How are we going to get out of this mess? Is calling MTG stupid helping towards that effort, or is it just making us feel better for a brief moment?

Yes, because some Republican voters don’t want to be so explicitly associated with outspoken stupidity. That’s why the party establishment went after Cawthorn, why they’re now going after Boebert, and are gearing up to go after EmptyG.

Will that get us out of this mess? No. They’ll let obvious dumb-dumbs like Gohmert and McCarthy stay in the party and their ideology will still be rotten.

Will getting public officials who are stupid or who pretend to be stupid out of office on the basis of their consistently stupid statements make things better? Yes.

We’re fighting fascists again. This is not the time to clutch pearls about civility or dither about hurting the feelings of those who are looking to hurt more than just feelings.

7 Likes

Is honesty really only of value to you when it has political utility? People shouldn’t just feel free to say what’s true because it’s true? Aren’t those kind of self-imposed fetters exhausting to lug around?

7 Likes

This is NOT a fucking game.

12 Likes

It’s amazing how many people are still treat it as such.

8 Likes

“Effective” is an interesting word, implying there should be objective evidence confirming the claim—people following the prescribed method, and documentation of the superior result

4 Likes

I have now idea, and really, I’m not sure that anybody does. Because it’s going to be more complicated than just the temperate zone moves North. Prevailing winds will change, ocean currents will change and all that will affect agriculture in different ways. If the prevailing winds over the Andes change direction, one could imagine Argentina becoming arid and Chile becoming wet/temperate like the Pacific Northwest instead of arid. I’m not saying that is actually likely or even possible, but that is the sort of change that would have a loser and a “winner” at least climactically speaking. Of course sea level rise will in all probability be a huge disaster for just about everybody. The thing is, more than a meter of sea level rise is probably already baked in. Just because you still have ice in your drink does not mean that the rooms is cold enough to keep it from melting. The next few hundred years are likely to be…tough.

3 Likes

You picked the wrong example and are still defending it as correct anyway, but sure, everyone who noticed and tried to set you straight is at fault here. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It’s time to sunset liberal decorum and stop filtering ourselves. We’re in a fight against unmoored, irrational ideologues who believe that the ends justify the means, and for them that rationalizes violent insurrections or U-hauling 30 sawed-off fascists to wreak havoc at LGBTQ rallies and worse. Taking the high road is apparently getting us further from our goals of an America that’s inclusive and open minded.

What I’m not proposing however is that we sink to their levels of depravity, as if that was possible. I’m tired of us electing feckless politicians like Kyrsten Sinema to represent our interests when we should have firebrands like Ana Kasparian, etc.

1 Like

You earned a like for this turn of phrase alone. :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.