It's easy to trick Chevrolet's AI chatbot into selling you a car for a dollar—but don't expect them to honor the deal

Originally published at: It's easy to trick Chevrolet's AI chatbot into selling you a car for a dollar—but don't expect them to honor the deal - Boing Boing

5 Likes

If I’m going to buy that for a dollar in the robo-dystopia I’m damn well insisting on a 6000 SUX.

11 Likes

Funny, but corporate America is so blinded by short-term greed that it still refuses to understand that “AI” itself is a “no takesies backsies” situation for humanity.

5 Likes
9 Likes

This must be why Skynet presets the neural net processors of Terminators to “read only” when they are sent out alone.

4 Likes

I bought my last car at a local dealership and mostly online. I had most of the details sorted before going in to test drive and finish things up. Like, they have a whole staff of sales people, you’re telling me they can’t answer chats for inquiries?

This really is a dumb dumb use of AI. Anyone who has taken a basic sales course should know that this goes against everything sales is about. No rapport building. No finding out the needs and wants of the customer. Maybe it could be useful to find out some factual info (how much horse power in this model, etc), but as seen, it has its down sides.

4 Likes

At the American Library Association’s yearly conference this past June, I attended a panel on the Intersection of Access and specifically how it relates to libraries. One of the topics we discuss was AI chatbots and how they’re already in use by many libraries. I’m not exactly a naysayer of new tech, but I was mostly bringing up the drawbacks with such a system and described possible results such as these.

Yes, it’s available 24/7 to help visitors to our website not bother to use the damned search function that’s at the top of every single page, but that seems far less useful when it starts giving out bad information or agreeing to let a patron have our entire collection forever. I’d like to think of that as hyperbole, but apparently it is not.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.