It's official: the Olympics result in the worst budget overruns of any megaproject

1 Like

Humanity has enjoyed an absence of the Olympic Extortion Committee (and FIFA for that matter) for most of recorded history. Maybe we ought to get back to that.

5 Likes

Damn. I thought the Big Dig was bad. [Though If you include the “coordinated projects” like the Green Line extension that are still (more or less) ongoing, it may still have a shot at medaling in the Overrun event.]

Why smooth the curve for this graph? Seems sloppy to me, and misleading. The costs fluctuate, depending on year, but the implied curve suggest logarithmic escalation, when that rate/pattern has not been proven yet. There are too many variables; corruption, economies, sponsorship, built infrastructure. It’s just the last few instances that jumped higher than previous years. Just plot the actual numbers, don’t try to plot a pretty curve for the sake of your impressions of what might happen. (Obviously, costs will rise, but don’t assume you’ll know by how much). A single graph can never tell the whole story anyway, but this just bugs me; seems like a Fox News kind of chart.

Don’t think of it as extortion, think of it is, um, surge pricing.

1 Like

Appropos?

Friends don’t let friends host Olympic games

4 Likes

surge pricing with side of steroids? :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.