"IvanKKKa is a Nazi" by a new wave band that's "definitely not" Green Day

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/24/ivankkka-is-a-nazi-by-a-new-wave-band-thats-definitely-not-green-day.html

13 Likes

I like it. Hope it goes viral.

9 Likes

The first 50 seconds were not appealing, but from then on it slapped. Gave me a “Ramones meets DEVO” vibe. Excellent!

20 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, nopped out after 45sec and was about to leave some snark, its not kerplunk, but it’s fine

7 Likes

I wished they took more ownership of the song and released it as themselves. It doesn’t seem very punk rock to make such a political statement and then hide behind an alter-ego.

3 Likes

Wait, Green Day has a side project? Is it any good?

2 Likes

Ha, I also grew bored at exactly 45 seconds in, saw this thread and went back for the rest.

My default reaction is “if you don’t want your name on it, why would I bother”. But on second thought I can dig it. Maybe if you’re Green Day, you don’t want every track to be a theme song for someone’s whole tortured adolescence, and would like to occasionally just do stuff folks would enjoy in some sticky floor type venue.

5 Likes

Thanks GD. The Dookie tour was my first big-ticket concert back in HS. It’s awesome to hear they are still making fun music and videos (I’ll admit my tastes have changed so I wasn’t even aware of this). Now I have to listen to “Imagine Dragons” all the time in my car thanks to the tweens. I still slip in some of my music, but they roll their eyes at the best songs. C’mon.

“Shut up, and YOU buy the friggin’ car. Then you can play whatever you want”.

10 Likes

The alter-ego thing is pretty lame when they’ve been obviously outed and they stick to the lie. It reeks of rich rock-star privilege.

I don’t think they’re hiding as much as tongue-in-cheek “hiding”

4 Likes

I can completely imagine oi types listening to this and thinking that song celebrates that “The Network” and Ivanka both are in agreement with white nationalist ideology.

1 Like

Thank you!
Skipped thru the first 50 seconds, and loved the rest.
It’s got a good beat, you can dance to it, 85/100.

4 Likes

Unless you live in an oppressive society where you will be locked up for political protest

7 Likes

Thank you for the warning. I don’t know if I would have lasted to the good part without this warning.

3 Likes

Calling a practicing Jew a Nazi is the epitome of ignorance.

“have released their first new music since their 2003 debut,”

I’m not up on modern music and this band, but am I to understand Green Day released their first album in 2003 and since then, nothing?

Even if that person is part of an actively genocidal administration? :woman_shrugging: for that matter, an administration that actively courts antisemites?

22 Likes

Would IvanKKKa is a kapo be more accurate?

21 Likes
2 Likes

Oooo…not being ignorant yourself, I am sure you are aware of Jewish Nazis in Germany, as well as those who served in the military during WWII? Being one does not preclude the other.

Considering the actual American Neo-Nazis support Trump, she is, if we want to be generous, at the very least Nazi adjacent. And given her support of various actions by Trump, at least a little bit fascist.

16 Likes