I've had my Kindle Voyage for over a year now, and I love it

Am I the only one who thought this read like the setup for an indie romance flick? (To your credit, @jlw, I doubt you’re whiny enough to be the protagonist.)

Yeah the ads are really not invasive at all, and always about reading books. Compared to the regular old horrible ass Internet Chum Bucket it is super tame.

1 Like

Well, I guess that’s only slightly obnoxious.[quote=“codinghorror, post:22, topic:76104”]
it is super tame
[/quote]

Ideally I’d like a reader that I can dump various formats of text files and ebooks straight from my computer without any extraneous nonsense, but I could live with that.

[quote=“Church, post:4, topic:76104”]
… 300 pixel-per-inch screen, because it is enough to convince the human eye it is reading solid, ink on paper words, rather than assembled dots.

On paper, that’s the assumption for process color. For B&W, though, it’s 600 DPI.
[/quote]Yes, for Black and White that needs to be 600DPI. But the Voyage has 16 shades of gray, so it doesn’t have to have as high resolution as black and white to appear as crisp as 600dpi B&W

1 Like

I put some screenshots taken on the Voyage in my Evolution of eInk blog post. Here’s one raw:

1072 x 1448, and indeed 16 shades of grey, here’s a closeup

On top of all that, there is also a bit of paper-like fuzzing inherent to eInk.

Personally, I like my kobo. I can upload whatever I want to it (usual file types, epub is the standard on it), and, more importantly, however I want.
Bonus point: it isn’t a product from a company that’s doing its best to destroy any and all local competition (not that kobo or rakuten are angels, but they simply don’t have the capacity to do so)

1 Like

I have a library of over 1200 drm-free ebooks that I have set up and fully indexed in Calibre on my laptop.

Is it possible to load them into the Kindle and be able to use the Calibre indexing? For example, see a list of all my categories, then drill down into the categories to see a list of authors in that category, then click on an author and see all of her titles?

I’ve been led to believe that there is no e-reader that works with Calibre in this way, which is one big reason (along with limited storage space, my library is now north of 12 gig) why I have steered clear of them so far.

If this is the process you used, I’m sorry that you found it difficult. I don’t think it is, really.

1 Like

I’ve got a Gen3 Kindle and a cheap Nook, and I love both of them, although the nook gets more use these days (it’s a bit smaller, that’s about it).
As many people have said, I don’t know what I’d do with out an ereader. I have plenty (ie more than I comfortably have shelfspace for) of paper books, but generally I buy ebooks exclusively now.
Having Calibre set up to keep all of my books with the DRM stripped off is a must (and I back it up obv), as now I have purchases from several different stores, which all started in different formats with different DRM.
The only downside is that it’s hard to lend ebooks to friends if they don’t have their own reader.

Figuring out how to unzip something is going to be a blocker for lots of kindle owners.

1 Like

Plus you might want to re-rip things occasionally.

Now that Amazon has fixed justification and hyphenation, I’ve been re-processing my books to take advantage of that.

1 Like

does it work for you reliably with amazon store bought content? my partner and I both struggle with it (separate accounts, separate devices). I read primarily on a Surface (Kindle app) and a Kindle DX and it almost never syncs right between the two. It really chaps my ass.

I’ve had excellent luck with books purchased from Amazon. I go between a Paperwhite and the Kindle app on an Android phone and tablet.

I frequently use my phone or laptop to read if I’ve forgotten the kindle and am stuck someplace, like my daughter’s gymnastics practice. Always works for me, but requires I answer yes to the jump forward question. It is not automagic. Does it automagically attempt work for you?

1 Like

No, it rarely asks. And if I try to manually sync it’ll tell me it’s already at the last read page, even if I read considerably beyond that point on another device. Same for my partner. And my Dad now that I think about it. I just assumed it was crumby at syncing between devices in general but I guess we’re just an unlucky bunch!

If I know I am moving device to device, I make it sync when I start as I’ll usually get about 2 sentences into a page before the pop-up comes, already thinking “I read this more than starting the page over again back, didn’t I?” and find I’m 20-30 pages out of sync or whatever.

It does always ask if I forget tho. I do keep my Kindle WiFi on, even tho I know it “drains” batteries, for this purpose.

1 Like

You could probably just turn wi-fi on for the last part you read, to save battery; it’ll certainly sync furthest read position. But telling when exactly that “last part I’m gonna read” is might be tough, true…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.