Ivory-billed woodpecker and 22 other species declared extinct

Originally published at: Ivory-billed woodpecker and 22 other species declared extinct | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I wonder if the Tasmanian Tiger was still on the list.

(I know, I could click through to find out. And also that it’s not. I just wanted to see a photo of one again.)

8 Likes

I say that in my head like Steve Irwin was talking.

6 Likes

There is a persistent rumor that there are Ivory Billed Woodpeckers still living in Cuba. Or am I being sold a load of cigars?

4 Likes

There is a VERY active community of “true-believers” in Australia and Tasmania who are convinced that Tasmanian tigers are not extinct, and it’s VERY much like the bigfoot hunters community, here. All TOTALLY convinced that they are out there, but just so elusive in every way that they haven’t been proved… YET. Never mind that having a breeding population large enough to make them viable would be literally impossible to hide, even in the most remote regions where they used to be. Very “conspiracy to hide the TRUTH from us” delusions in both Tiger and Bigfoot communities.

5 Likes

idly wondering if the Ivory Billed woodpecker is the one that inspired Woody Woodpecker.

3 Likes

More likely the close relative Pileated Woodpecker, who have a laughing call.

4 Likes

Woody was inspired by an Acorn woodpecker that bothered Walter Lantz on his honeymoon. I suspect the look, though, was based on the pileated.

9 Likes

Still Life with Woodpecker.

3 Likes

I read online that the last few have been hunted to near extinction by drop bears.

3 Likes

The list is of “domestic species”, so it would not be included.

So he was essentially cock-blocked by a pesky bird and subsequently named it “Woody”?

1 Like

aha. makes sense. i am clearly not a birder.

I refer you to The Race to Save the Lord God Bird, about the quest to definitively find a surviving ivory-billed woodpecker.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if you were to read my whole comment before replying. That way, you’d be less likely to tell me something I already said.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.