Newly discovered c.1933 footage of the extinct Tasmanian Tiger (thylacine)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/17/newly-discovered-c-1933-footag.html

3 Likes

I’ve seen a few stills of the Tasmanian Tiger, seeing it in motion gave me chills. It looks like no animal I’ve seen before. It seems somewhat dog-like but also not quite. Really cool, and a shame that it is gone forever like so many other animals.

11 Likes

Particularly when it yawns.

9 Likes

The sun above me and a concrete floor below
Scratch at the chain links, maybe bare my teeth for show
Fed twice a day, I don’t go hungry anymore
Feel in my bones just what the future has in store
I pace in circles
So the camera will see
Look hard at my stripes
There’ll be no more after me

14 Likes

I keep out some small, vain hope that there are a few in the wilds of Tasmania. There are some moderately credible sightings and that is some wild, uncharted country.

The book “Tasmanian Tiger” by David Owen is a great read.

4 Likes

Now I need to go watch Howling III again.

3 Likes

We are always looking for new information on this amazing animal.

2 Likes

Mike! Thanks for joining us! Keep up the great work.

2 Likes

The museum in Hobart has this footage on a permanent loop:

1 Like

Thanks Pesco.
I am hanging on the coat tails of my friends who really know there tiger lore. :slight_smile:

It’s an example of convergent evolution. Completely different family tree, however they’ve evolved in a similiar environment and this type of creature clearly survives well in it.

1 Like

BTW…if the thylacine was Australia’s native wolf/dog equivalent [1], then quolls are the Oz-evolved cat-equivalent.

Quoll:

[1] Dingos aren’t Australian-evolved, they migrated in from Asia a few thousand years before the European invasion.

You reminded me of this

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.