Jack in the Box employee fired for mocking deaf customer

Absolutely. And they are generally just as safe on the road as hearing drivers because they’ve adapted to depend more on their sight (not to mention the fact that they don’t have so many auditory distractions).

8 Likes

Do you want fr-AI-s with that appy-meal? McDonald’s gobbles machine-learning biz for space-age Drive Thrus

Probably not. A lot of fast food employees are timed on every part of the transaction and they are allotted more time for the ordering than for the cash window. Poor times at any step in the process can result in losing their job. They would rather lose you as a customer, which costs the company money, than deal with you in a better manner, which can cost them their job.

Well now, I’d take that as a challenge. “Can you hear me now?”

The motor on my 250cc scooter is fairly low to the ground, so I assume all those intersections where I can’t ever trigger the light to change are because of some shipdit who drives a F350 cranked the trigger value way up. EMP bursts might either trigger it, or kill it – encouraging replacement with something that works. (Because I am not going to jump off the bike to push the pedestrian button, even with no traffic.)

1 Like

I dunno. I got a Moto Guzzi whose oil pan is also very low to the ground, and sometimes I still can’t trigger anything. I’ve run way more red lights than I’m comfortable with.

Pocket-size EMP-device? That’s old-school BOFH stuff, neat!

My first thought to your suggestion was, how would she know when they are ready to hear her? If she’s in a line of cars, by the time she got to the box they are likely to say, “We will be with you in a minute,” and not wait to hear a reply. Then by the time they get back and start asking for the order, well, she’s still deaf.

I guess she could keep shouting, again and again, “I’m deaf and need to order at the window,” just in case they are listening. /s

I suppose, until you’ve tried to go through a fast food drive-thru without being able to hear anything, it could be difficult to identify the rough spots. Apparently, this was a rough spot for her.

If I were in the worker’s position, and someone doesn’t reply to the speaker, and just continues to pull forward, I would assume there is a problem. And when they got to the window, and it was clear they were deaf, I would think, “Ahah!” and proceed with sorting out the order. I wouldn’t heap abuse on them for something outside of their control. And I’m someone with shitty social skills. This is professional grade asshole on display.

3 Likes

If they fired the guy without a threat of legal action, I don’t see why the employer should get sued. It’s not like they can vet every drive-through worker extensively before they hire them to make sure they aren’t an asshole.

Malcolm Gladwell’s latest book is on First Contact conflicts:

1 Like

Of course they are. They’re deaf, not blind.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.