Jacob Appelbaum, Tor developer and Wikileaks staffer, resigns amid sex abuse claims

Yes. Jake is probably an asshole. But Farrs story does not help. He is one of many now clambering out of the woodwork who have an axe to grind with Applebaum. That’s confusing the situation.

Criminals are assholes, but not every asshole is a criminal.

1 Like

It’s adding to the narrative. I see the same traits when I read Farr’s story about Appelbaum that I see in the other stories: the same inability to take “no” for an answer, the same problems understanding the nuances of socially acceptable behaviour, the same basic personality being described by both Farr and by the people making the sexual accusations.

As someone who wouldn’t know Jacob Appelbaum from Johnny Appleseed, these corroborations lend veracity to the sexual stories.

4 Likes

Well, that would be a strawman, wouldn’t it? I mean, since I didn’t suggest that men never cheat. I simply asked you to clarify your statement that…

If you think that most or all men can’t control their sexual urges, you should explain the basis of that assertion. And if you think that no human has ever transcended their nature, you should explain that, too, because, really, there are lots and lots of people who have done just that.

Maybe let’s not make this yet another #notallmen thread? We already have lots of those.

6 Likes

Too bad that wasn’t my statement, eh? Look at your own quoting.

#notAllNotAllMenThreads

7 Likes

Ah…! All apologies for confusing you with pyramus.

Still, I hope we can agree that asking pyramus if he/she really thinks that all or most men can’t control their sexual urges in no way implies a belief that all men control their sexual urges.

This could end up as a challenger to buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo if it’s allowed to go on. Though, I suppose that #notallnotallmenthreads is a legitimate counter to #notallnotallmenthreads in and of itself. Hmmm, tricky.

2 Likes

Even discussing it as “control” takes the choice to rape out of the picture, to an extent. He has self-control, he chose to do what he did. He didnt “give in” to anything.

1 Like

Would you say that going to the police to report a rape is similarly “going kamikaze” because of how it may affect the trajectory of the person?

Yes. After any traumatic event I think anyone would much rather be able to forget it all and return to how things were before then be forced to relive it over and over with strangers and then have to be questioned on the veracity of their claim constantly. The trauma is bad enough, but publicly declaring changes how the rest of the world views you and as a result and you can not go back to the way your life was before.

What is your analogy for someone who rapes?

What are their actions akin to?

Well, if I was going to continue the war plane analogy I’d say the rapist is like someone who takes a bomber plane and goes for a night run over civilians. He may feel the civilians are valid targets because they are the enemy. He may feel because they are where they are they are valid targets. He may feel he needs to take revenge on someone and will take it on whoever he can. He may just like to have the power.
At any point the rapist can choose to continue to fly and return the plane before or choose to target a house that was silly enough to leave a light on. The victim can lower the chance of being targeted by having the lights off, but if the pilot could just bomb because he knows someone is there.
I choose a bomber at night because the victim may or may not see it coming. If the victim is drugged and isolated, he/she has no power to fight back. The victim may have radar and anti-aircraft guns and still be hit by the bomber and the bomber may be damaged or shot down.

Your comment there seemed more interested in people coming forward than you are interested in the ultimate veracity of the claim.

I was trying to point out that coming forward always damages and the claimant and damages the accused to varying degrees. Yes, there may be vindictive people who will willingly take the damage to their reputation and their relations to others to make a false claim hoping to destroy the accused. I just think they are few and far between, whereas there are many more who would not be willing to come forward because they know of the consequences.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, these articles get a bit heated and it’s hard to grok the exact context of a statement sometimes, even if plainly stated.

1 Like

using the analogy of a fanatical attacker (kamikaze) on the part of the victim is… problematic and confusing.

3 Likes

Still agreed. The person who committed the scorched earth act is just offloading their life destroying decisions to another when he or she makes the decision to seek out assistance from the police.

She didn’t make the decision to destroy her life and his. That was the next act in a chain set off by his.

1 Like
5 Likes

When we get these updates I always wonder if anyone rolls back their anger over public opinion or if they all just double down.

I honestly don’t know. Some supporters will hang on to the bitter end and others will have already decided from the first inkling of controversy, because they didn’t like him to begin with. My knowledge of him comes generally from here, so I don’t have a dog in that fight. I’d hope the folks running BB will not let their friendships with him get in the way of whatever happens to come out. I was a little worried this would see the axe given who is cited, but so far it remains.

2 Likes

Nothing is going to happen next. His reputation is ruined (which is fine) but I doubt he’ll be prosecuted for anything because he’s a white, male rapist and he’s done his thing in at least a dozen nations. The German police would have to have a German victim come forward, make a claim on the record, and take it to trial.

I’ve had several mutual friends in the Bay Area come forward and say they witnessed some of this (or were sexually harassed by him) in the last two days. He’s not coming back now that the floodgates are open.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting perspective. We can’t really know what was going on in his head when he committed the crime. People do all kinds of terrible things while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol they otherwise wouldn’t, so the degree to which he consciously chose to commit this heinous act isn’t as knowable as the rapes that are planned ahead of time by sober people. Then again, maybe he did plan it when he was sober. There’s just no way of knowing (EDIT: unless, of course, he confesses in the future).

But even if he was black-out drunk and genuinely remembered nothing, it wouldn’t serve as an excuse, as there is no excuse for what he did.

However, he and his supporters have been completely sober as they’ve offered excuses and defenses for an inexcusable act. I suspect that if he had plead guilty and taken full responsibility for what he’d done, not nearly as many people would be aware of his crime and his pathetic excuses for it.

1 Like

It’s still them doing it, the responsibility is theirs. Their “true self” is between them and the addiction, we know them by their works.

3 Likes

Absolutely.

2 Likes