Japanese company recruits Gundam-esque Mechas to fix railroads

Originally published at: Japanese company recruits Gundam-esque Mechas to fix railroads | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Unconfirmed rumor is they needed a mecha to handle the mega cat problem.

28 Likes

From what I could see in the video it can lift and hold objects up to 88 lbs in place, presumably while a human worker actually does the task of bolting it in place. So potentially useful, but still pretty limited in its capabilities. They didn’t demonstrate the ability to use any tools.

5 Likes

Yeah. I’m guessing this is a baby step.

Don’t let them fall into the wrongs hands.

2 Likes

Can five of them assemble to form an even larger construction robot?

10 Likes

I want to see an action movie car chase where our hero uses this to dismantle their opponents’ cars in a running battle à la fury road

4 Likes

Can’t wait for the Gundam / Thomas the Tank Engine crossover

3 Likes
8 Likes

First they had tô build the hangar…

2 Likes

In this casê, I hope they have authorized the creation of the Metropolitan Police Special Vehicle Section 2, Division 2.

5 Likes

“Japanimation”. Haven’t heard that term in a while.

1 Like

There’s a John Henry update just waiting to happen here.

Also a CSI: Japan episode that will write itself: Gundam robot worker murders human worker-- just who is the culprit? The disgruntled firmware coder? The anarchist internet hacker? Prodigy-son of the rival robot company owner? Find out in the last 3 of the episode’s 47 minutes.

4 Likes

That is almost exactly the plot of episode 3 of Psycho-Pass.

3 Likes

it’s got to be mostly marketing: basically an ad for when people see and talk about it.

i really can’t think of any other rational purpose in having the robot’s head driven by the operator’s head. if you wanted practicality, you’d have omnidirectional cameras, and the vr would just slice out the operator’s field of view.

they (presumably) want to show there’s a person there driving it, which indicates it’s all just theater.

The_Iron_Giant_Train_Scene

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.