Japanese overdesign fetish: Beetle 3-Way Highlighter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/02/japanese-overdesign-fetish-be.html

2 Likes

Nice trick.

Thought: put three such markers with different colors to one pack, and be able to mark with three colors, and three styles from each color.

I think if the tips get offset to a side a little they would not be getting in each other’s way.

4 Likes

Okay, but which Microman does it transform into.

In the 80’s everyone said we should start learning Japanese. Now I guess we need should start highlighting it too?

7 Likes

Let’s combine it with this and create the last marker you will ever need:

12 Likes

I think the Beatles having a threeway just really highlights how little love Ringo gets.

c’mon that was great, bring the faves.

20 Likes

Nice but has three caps. If all tips are on the same end, you have only one cap to manage and lose.

If we’d go for the Japanese grade of overengineering, the cap itself could be integrated into the marker - push and twist (or so) to expose the tips, without removing anything prone to be lost. Or twist via a spiral mechanism, like when putting out a lipstick, with a spring-loaded lid.

I hate losing the caps.

5 Likes

That “highlighting around the text” style seems like it would be a pain to implement for multiple font heights. Does Japan only use one font height?

2 Likes

Rotate the pen. The distance between the lines is then multiplied by the cosine of the rotation angle.

17 Likes

Which you can get for free, at every tech trade show ever.

Also German (Rotring)

4 Likes

Yes, I know. Even when I searched for the image, all results were from companies selling giveaways. (That one is for a pharmacy.)

3 Likes

It looks like a little chicken. Or possibly a sex toy.

Yep, that’s a sex toy.

1 Like

Already saw this a few years ago.

4 Likes

Or perhaps a sexy chicken.

3 Likes

Which will work for smaller fonts, but not bigger.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.