Watch this soothing and instructional video on how to draw 3D letters of the alphabet

Originally published at: Watch this soothing and instructional video on how to draw 3D letters of the alphabet | Boing Boing

1 Like

This is similar to using an old typewriter, the henpecking process is soothing, I use it to write letters to friends around the USA, never fails to have a two prong result, one I enjoy the old timey machine, and two the response I get when folks receive the typed letter.

1 Like

I only recently discovered the felt tipped pen was a Japanese invention to emulate the brushes used for calligraphy.

I visited a friend teaching English in Japan and noted some very finely drawn cartoon characters in the margins of her 7 year old students and she suggested that small mistakes in writing Kanji and the Chinese Hanzi would mean that the text would be illegible ergo the good drawing skills and obsession with writing/drawing instruments.

Just a question to the Boingers about the conventions of 3D extrusion dropping back to the left and ‘drop shadows’ down to the right? Any thoughts?

Somewhere in my memory I recall something about it being a Western art tradition while constrained by daylit studios with large south-facing windows that the subject was lit from the left, because that would give a (right-handed) artist the best light on their palette and would cast their shadow to the right of where they were working.

2 Likes

“I wonder what kind of gel pen he’s using?”

Not one from the BoingBoingStore?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.