Java ported to Commodore 64

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/03/java-ported-to-commodore-64.html

2 Likes

Yes, but Why??

5 Likes

ETA: That is amazing though, I had always considered Java to be too inefficient to run on anything older than a mid-90s desktop.

9 Likes

because some programmers are just pure evil bastards.

gotta give em credit when they manage something like this though.

5 Likes

A JVM without GC is an evil thing indeed.

As a Clojure hacker, the thing I value most about Java is the rich ecosystem. The idea of a JVM that can’t take full advantage of that ecosystem saddens me.

3 Likes

This is going to date me terribly, but in the 1980s, it was quite common to use virtual machines on 8-bit computers – the UCSD Pascal system used a virtual machine called the p-machine that allowed compiled programs on on system to run on another, exactly like the Java JVM. I’m not sure if there was ever a Commodore 64 port, but there were certainly Apple ][ and Commodore Pet ports, so it would have been completely feasible.

4 Likes

Yeah so? Java was originally designed to run on small devices, and it tells me that millions of devices do run it every time I do an update.

However. for perverted awesomeness I think I’ll see if Pocket Smalltalk will run on my Palm IIIe.

2 Likes

Another good product would be Java Grinder from Michael Kohn. Been around since 2014. https://www.mikekohn.net/micro/java_grinder.php

He got java running on Commodore 64 (help from Joe Davisson) and other platforms

Nay, billions!

Just because you can…
Ah hell. Just keep it in the lab.

1 Like

Another bytecode-based virtual machine from that era was the Z-machine that was used for Infocom games such as Zork, Planetfall, etc.

But even with the Z-machine, Zork had to be split into three separate games to fit it into the constraints of 8-bit systems.

1 Like

Wasn’t it more to fit the constraints of the floppy disks? (Also, money.)

They say that they did a rewrite from the original version:

‘ZORK: The Great Underground Empire - Part I’ …was developed by the original authors based on their ZORK (Dungeon) game for the PDP-10. It features a greatly improved parser; command input and transcript output files; SAVEs to any device and file name; and adaptation to different terminal types, including a status line on VT100s. Note: this is not the FORTRAN version that has been available through DECUS. This version has been completely rewritten to run efficiently on small machines - up to 10 times as fast as the DECUS version.
…ZORK runs under RT-ll, HT-ll, or RSTS/E and requires as little as 20K words of memory and a single floppy disk drive. The game package, consisting of an RX01-format diskette and an instruction booklet, is available from Infocom, Inc., P.O. Box 120, Kendall Station, Cambridge, Ma. 02142."

1 Like

So Java is finally being used for its intended dolphin?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.