Jayne Mansfield: Viral Warrior

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/03/jayne-mansfield-viral-warrior.html

6 Likes

Is it really necessary to have a full paragraph devoted to her physique in an article about her charity work for March of Dimes?

6 Likes

A worthy cause. nods somberly

4 Likes

I remember how prevalent the March of Dimes was even in the 1970s, with the little cardboard placards you could insert your dimes into. We had a family friend at our church who suffered polio as a child, and explained to me how serious the illness was, and how her leg brace worked.

4 Likes

I watched Promises, Promises once, which had in it both Ms. Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay, who were the parents of Mariska Hargitay of TV’s Law & Order: SVU. Not to be confused with Bacharach’s Promises, Promises, a treatment of Neil Simon’s The Apartment. Notwithstanding Ms. Manfield’s charity work and other assets, I preferred Bacharach’s, which starred Jerry Orbach on Broadway—who was later on Law & Order: Vanilla edition. Coincidence?

3 Likes

Probably. It is what she is famous for. And she flaunted her boobs at every opportunity, with a public Jayne versus Jane rivalry with Jane Russell.

1 Like

Agreed. Her boobs were her “brand”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.