Jazz great Jack Sheldon, the voice of Schoolhouse Rock!, RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/02/jazz-great-jack-sheldon-the-v.html

7 Likes

His vocals on the theme song for Altman’s “The Long Goodbye” are the best.

8 Likes

See? This is what I’m talking about. Name, job, dead. Sigh.

Safe travels into the beyond. We’ll be along shortly.

2 Likes

One of the great surprises of my adult life was going back to listen to Schoolhouse Rock for nostalgia and discovering that the voices I grew up with singing about the alphabet and the Constitution all belonged to great musicians.

6 Likes

6 Likes

RIP.

5 Likes

Schoolhouse Rock had an incredible impact on those of us of an age to grow up with it.

Many, many years ago (I was in my 20s), some friends and I were at a rock concert at Phoenix Plaza Amphitheater (an open space on top of a parking structure.) It was an interesting crowd-- I recall some people decked out in black vinyl and multicolored Mohawks not too far from us. My friends and I were chatting between sets, and for whatever reason we all wound up singing “Conjunction Junction.” And the punk rockers started giving us weird looks… :rofl:

I’m incredibly grateful to all those behind Schoolhouse Rock who made learning so creative and so fun. RIP, you are missed.

5 Likes

Indeed; enough so that I strayed from my anti-Disney stance just long enough to buy the 30th anniversary boxed set for my own kid.

Classic Sesame Street and the Electric Company are in her collection as well.

3 Likes

RIP Mr. Sheldon and thank you for your many gifts to us.

(Apologies that this song is not jazz, but this is something I sing to remind myself that everything I love will be taken away.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.