Meet the composer of "Schoolhouse Rock"

[Read the post]

Almost everything I know about grammar came from watching Schoolhouse Rock!

6 Likes

Yep! “AND, BUT & OR will get you pretty far”

3 Likes

One of my favorite things he did was sing this song on a Miles Davis album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZTKvNXxPA

3 Likes

Earworms plus learning = WIN.

1 Like

loved them all as a kid. I love how De La Soul structured their “The Magic Number” around “Three is a Magic Number,” and while I was never interested in Blind Mellon, I think their version is actually pretty great

“Now dig the pattern once more…”

3 Likes

Don’t forget Lynn Ahrens, too - couple good ones there

Hey! That’s an interjection!

5 Likes

So many faves… among them: My Hero Zero, and No More Kings.

1 Like

Looks like Schoolhouse Rock was a lot better at grammar and arithmetic than history.

History, too. [EDIT: @L_Mariachi’s comment notwithstanding.] When I reached 8th grade and we had to memorize the Preamble to the Constitution, something clicked and I realized “hey, I know that song…”

The voice behind “Conjunction Junction” and “I’m Just a Bill” was that of jazz trumpeter Jack Sheldon, who was erroneously reported as having died a few years ago. The late Blossom Dearie sang “Adjectives” and “Figure 8.” I couldn’t remember Dave Frishberg’s name, and while looking him up, I found out that drummer Grady Tate also sang a few of them.

2 Likes

Whenever I see or listen to old Schoolhouse Rock episodes, I realize how much of my musical tastes formed as a kid from seeing these over and over. Not to mention having the multiplication tables, the Preamble, and grammar rules engraved on my brain.

3 Likes

Earworms? I’m still humming some of the mathy ones, and it’s been, what, about a century?

5 Likes

I had the pleasure of seeing Bob play at the Deerhead inn, a few years back. Amazing, especially considering his age, I think he played for around 2-3 hours, and worked the crowd between sets. Charming and talented dude. There was a kid whose birthday it was, and Bob played one of the schoolhouse rock songs for them. Quite an awesome evening.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.