Jeff Bezos is going to space next month

I wonder if this is about that exclusive lunar landing contract that NASA gave to SpaceX.

Blue Origin is contesting that, but of the two companies, one is actually putting things into orbit, while the other… isn’t. So now comes a big publicity stunt showing that hey, we can put stuff into space too!

But “space” isn’t “orbit”. Heck, I could get a balloon and send something to “space” if I wanted to.

3 Likes

Don’t get me started on Crunchberries.

4 Likes

index

5 Likes

If I had the money and the opportunity, I would do the same thing. Hell, I’d start my own space flight company! :man_astronaut:

3 Likes

3 seats in there? Bezos, Zuckerberg and Dorsey… and don’t come back.

3 Likes

what ever happened to the drone delivery saga

1 Like

Sometimes I think about what I would do with that kind of functionally unlimited wealth, if for some reason I wasn’t able to use any of it to help other people. Travel would be one. You see so many beautiful and amazing things in photos and documentaries, and why wouldn’t you take a look at all of them in person.

Making things is another. I’m sure a lot of people here have had an idea for something that might be cool to see in a video game or movie, but of course you won’t get to actually find out if it would or not, because it would be much too much work for one person even if it was all you devoted yourself to. Someone like Bezos could toss some pocket change and have a AAA-quality title to satisfy his curiosity.

And for sure research. All the time learning about things, I run into things that I’d be interested to know but it seems nobody has figured out. Sometimes that’s because they’re the frontiers of science, but sometimes they’re simply things nobody has had the resources to actually investigate. How neat it would be to able to make a call, say I want an answer, and trust that within a couple years there’s a good chance I could stop wondering.

It stands out to me how little of this actual billionaires do. Instead they spend their time doing all the things I would be happy not to do, like attend meetings and fret about making even more money. This one is at least an adventure like he says…but it really does feel like it’s from not knowing what else to buy, instead of part of a lifetime of adventuring. It’s so very hard to relate to.

13 Likes

Well, there is still the possibility that something goes catastro"phallic" wrong with his dick ship.
Fingers crossed.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I was kinda holding out for the Big-Boy clip.

1 Like

It is almost as if, if you have any interests or imagination, you don’t wind up a billionaire.

2 Likes

11 Likes

4 Likes

Quick, change all the locks!

4 Likes

I think he is just going up to visit his closest relatives, the cybermen

2 Likes

Are they putting Jeff into orbit? How do I give that a vote or a thumbs up or whatever the kids do these days?

All the time and effort I spend trying to convince folks not to drive SUVs (or just not drive) and Bezos launches a fucking rocket. For fun. We are doomed, and when we allow idiots like this, we deserve it.

1 Like

You don’t get to be sociopathically rich without being a sociopath. The people that have interests stopped at a couple to ten million, because they view it as “a win.” The people like Bezos can never have enough, and always have to have more, and so they are always focused in on only that.

5 Likes

God, if I had 200 billion dollars, I’d spend a hell of a lot of it on high powered replication studies.

So much of science is based on studies that haven’t actually been replicated properly. Especially in medicine.

In fact, hardly anyone spends any time or money replicating anything.

It doesn’t pay

But if I had $200 billion, I’d make it pay.

3 Likes

I see Jeff is supervising the construction of his orbital battle station personally.

2 Likes