Jeff Bezos's rules for epic storytelling

Originally published at: Jeff Bezos's rules for epic storytelling | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Movie Checklist: The Movie now streaming on Amazon Prime.

11 Likes

13 Likes

Yes, it’s funny, but think: have we ever seen the back of Jeff Bezos’s head???

5 Likes

Huh. That is going to stick with me.

2 Likes

Funny. II’ve always believed that success earns scrutiny, because honest success will pass thru it with flying colors.

1 Like

This must be why Dune sucks. It’s just all desert.

/s obvs

…or a gargantuan high-tech monopolistic corporation steadily taking over the world (led by a Lex Luthor type, of course)

4 Likes

c3b00da29689ddb3020806a5e4cc61a0051be663

1 Like

I am just waiting for the Apprentice out takes reel…

This is a terrible list to use for line-by-line script notes, but exactly the depth of thinking a board chair of a trillion dollar logistics company with a film division should be bringing to the table.

1 Like

It’s 1980, the cast of the original SNL all leave, NBC retools the show with their former head of marketing in charge of producing the show, and the ratings are horrible. A memo is sent to the writers: “From now on all scripts have to be 40% funnier.”

6 Likes

metro goldwyn mayer lot

1 Like

I think it’s not so much that “success never needs accounting for,” but that success is accounted for in the wrong way. In the U.S., anyway, we have a tendency to believe that wealth is a clear sign of whatever we consider good. If we’re religious, we think it means that wealthy people are favored by our deity (and therefore poor people are despised by our deity). If we value intelligence, we equate great wealth with great intelligence (if you’re so smart, why aren’t you rich?).

But does it even matter? Wealthy people will always look around at the poorer people surrounding them and then rationalize their success. Sometimes it’s great virtue, sometimes it’s great intelligence, sometimes it’s that they’re the reincarnation of some great leader of the past. Humans are rationalizing animals, and rationalizations don’t really have to make sense. For the wealthy, the best part is that they can always find plenty of sycophants willing to agree with whatever nonsense they spout.

When great wealth is concentrated in an individual, it becomes a disease.

4 Likes

The list certainly isn’t wrong, but it sure lays things out on a manner that doesn’t allow storytelling to feel all that organic.

1 Like

Lol I just want to say great pic.

Feelies

6 Likes

meh. just hire the right people who know what they’re doing. ( which of course first requires acknowledging that a list of random elements from movies you once liked is not enough to make decisions about movies, their creation, and distribution. )

sounds like he just wants to sound smart. which means - surprising to me at least - he’s not.

2 Likes

Meh, Dunning–Kruger is so common among “entrepreneurs” it’s a cliché.

4 Likes

true. true.

i do wonder how much of his day he actually spends working ( “working”? )

wealth taxes, financial transaction taxes, and steep progressive taxation can’t get here soon enough.

it’d be great for us all to be getting something more useful from all of his free time. ( back to work, bezos! if we gotta, then you gotta. )

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.