Jeffrey Epstein's trying to get out of jail (again)

Well. For some he is worth a lot of money. For some he is worth freedom. Guess we shall see.

Fwiw, (and I realize this amounts to reading tea leaves) I have been keeping an eye on how Breitbart covers the story. They mentioned the friendship between Trump and Epstein for the first time today. A few commenters seem open to there being something there. Interesting in any case.

If we were ever living in a world where we could defeat our enemies by shaming them, we don’t live in that world anymore. Resigning in protest is called “quitting” these days, and, as they say, quitters never win. If your boss tells you to do something bad, just don’t do it. At the very least make them fire you. Make them send in the goons. Go limp on the way out.

3 Likes

This is with the Feds now. He’s not going anywhere…maybe.

And his buddy, Donald:

Two congressional committees and state prosecutors in New York have also opened investigations into the bank’s relationship with President Trump, who received a total of more than $2 billion in loans from Deutsche Bank over nearly two decades, even as other major banks refused to do business with him.

4 Likes

Maybe. You might see that for the US Attorney, but you’d also see a significant portion of the SDNY staff actually resign in protest if the US Attorney were replaced.

The actual prosecution is being run by Assistant US Attorney Alex Rossmiller, who clearly would be in a world of crap if he stayed on following his boss’ firing for work that he was carrying out, and resigning in protest over this would probably help him get a new job anyway. Both the US Attorney and AUSA Rossmiller probably have support staff that are loyal to them, and they would leave when they leave. There are other support staff that joined up expecting to have a US attorney’s office that has autonomy that would leave if that autonomy was gone.

Losing that much institutional experience all at once is a major scandal that would be hard for anyone involved to withstand.

2 Likes

A judge characterizing a suspect’s breathtakingly prolific crimes as the product of an “uncontrollable attraction” feels a lot like insiders, the system itself, laying groundwork for some kind of psych defense. Like the fix was in from the start.

1 Like
3 Likes

itcrowd-moss-office-disapproval

4 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing!

1 Like

I respect your opinion, but I think that would be giving them too much credit. I don’t think the rich and powerful would that easily be converted. Or at all.

The second paragraph of this story gives me some hope that there are more prosecutions to come. One can dream, anyway.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.