Jellyfish-killing robots

Can they reproduce from fragments? From what I read here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellyfish#Reproduction it sounds like it isn’t many species which can bud and, for those which can, they don’t mention the “in a blender” method.

2 Likes

There’s been a serious of big booms and busts, the largest quite possibly being the whaling industry.

Really? We can’t see that there are better ways to solve the problems caused by fishing out the top predators?

Yes, overfishing is a serious problem.

But I’m not sure whether fishing lower on the food chain will actually have less effect rather than different effect. I know just enough to know that I don’t know enough.

And as I said, this isn’t just a problem with what we take out of the water; it’s also a problem of what we dump in… which covers everything from factory farming to erosion caused by clearcutting and so on to the sewage effluent of humans (which includes a fair amount of drugs as well as everything else) to the thermal effects of using river water to cool reactors.

Does it have an option to make it say “EX-TER-MI-MATE! EX-TER-MI-MATE! EX-TER-MI-MATE!” while killing the shit out of jellyfish?

1 Like

I guess that mosquitoes are good for feeding bats. We don’t kill the mosquitoes as much as we make the females unable to produce viable eggs.

I’m not sure how I feel about shredding jellyfish. Perhaps solving the problem of rising acid levels in the oceans would be more beneficial.

I was just stating a fact not endorsing mass slaughter of sea creatures for whatever reason.

1 Like

You do realize that jellyfish are A) completely brainless and have no Earthly idea what’s happening because they lack any thought process what so ever and B) they are damaging. Although they play some role in the aquatic ecosystem it isn’t MAJOR by any means besides being the primary food source for leatherback turtles (largest turtle actually).

Plus this machine would (if) only be deployed in certain areas to keep that area clean of these creatures. They aren’t trying to make the species complete instinct or anything. Plus there are literally BILLIONS of them…far more that all humans x 10…so it’s not a loss at all.

They are stinging plants that react to stimuli and are the primary food source for one species that isn’t even near the areas this will/would be used. I say “meh”.

4 Likes

So what do you think about swatting flies?

2 Likes

I’d figure the usual ways to solve a problem with a species that is too numerous is to replenish the predators’ population. All the money spent on developing the jelly-shredder could be better spent on things like securing sea turtle habitat, and it’d be a lot more constructive overall.

1 Like

Not a word (at least in anything I just googled) on how it avoids chopping up non-jellyfish creatures.

The possible negative effect of sending floating nets capped with chopping blades through the water on other animals isn’t even mentioned in all the glib “killer robot of the sea” articles.

What’s up with that?

1 Like

My best guess is that’s what those plastic strands shown in some of the videos is for. I’m guessing that jelly fish can pass through them while anything else large enough to be likely harmed by the blades is too solid. That’s just conjecture, though, based on what little the videos show.

1 Like

There has been a real problem with Jellyfish lately. They destroy entire ecosystems. Of course, the problem is most likely caused by humans destroying ecosystems. Read more http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120405-blooming-jellyfish-problems

Startling, is it not?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.