Jellyfish-killing robots

[Permalink]

Is killing sealife a thing we want? Do they only kill jellies, or do they kill everything in their path?

And don’t jellies breed by the billions, with survival based on conditions such as available food? In other words, will this make even a micron of difference, if eliminating jellies is the actual goal?

2 Likes

disgusting.

Why is this a thing? When the fuck did killing jelly fish become a ‘thing’?

1 Like

also, doesn’t shredding invertebrates like jellyfish simply produce lots more jellies from the pieces?

Jelly fish have caused problems with at least one nuclear power plant by clogging the intake pipes which bring in sea water to cool the plant.

5 Likes

The first link confused me. Jeros.com seems to be the website of a company that makes kitchen machines, not jellyfish killing robots.

1 Like

Obligatory “But will it Blend?” reference…

1 Like

If a reasonable reaction to screwing stuff up was indiscriminate murder of a species, the entire non-human living population of the earth would be justified in rising up and killing every last human.

To put it another way: if the inhabitants of a place are going to potentially interfere with a nuclear power plant, perhaps the designers should take that into consideration and work around it rather than simply - ahem - nuking the inhabitants.

1 Like

7 Likes

The “Jeros” link goes to a company that manufactures industrial dishwashers…

Links that are actually related:

http://www.kaist.edu/english/01_about/06_news_01.php?req_P=bv&req_BIDX=10&req_BNM=ed_news&pt=17&req_VI=4488

3 Likes

Thanks!

The hypothesis: Despite plenty of clues, We are still fucking idiots.

Tested and answered: Proven beyond any reasonable doubt.

1 Like

I had some shredded jellyfish on a JAL flight to Hong Kong once. I think they were also pickled or something. I had not previously encountered that texture in a food item before.

2 Likes

And that, kids, is how we learned which jellyfish species can reproduce by regrowing full adults from lost fragments…

(In all seriousness, do any of them reproduce by ‘budding’? Because, if so, I suspect that shredbot-3000 is going to have an… unexpected… effect on their population.)

1 Like

Wasn’t this the plot of Pacific Rim?

1 Like

Couldn’t the same thing be said for the wholesale slaughter of mosquitos? The last few years have seen the introduction of some large scale mosquito killing devices. How do we draw the line?

1 Like

Between global warming and humans pumping highly nutritious run-off into the oceans – plus, quite probably, lots of other factors – there have been significant jellyfish population booms in some waters, enough to make quite a mess of areas where humans have been fishing. And yes, our general response to a population boom in pest species has tended to be to find some way to kill them off – introducing predators (which has its own history of problems), or trapping or poisoning or shooting.

As to whether this is a good solution or not… I haven’t a clue; I don’t know enough about population dynamics of the ocean food chain, and I can’t judge how selective this widget really is in what it purees. And even assuming it works, I’m not sure what the release of the nutrients tied up in the jellyfish into the water will do to the population of everything else.

In a way, of course, this is another aspect of our having always assumed the oceans were too large for us to affect – we also assumed they were too large to change much, period. But there must have been booms and busts there as on land, We may just have to accept that we don’t know as much as we thought we did about what to expect, and figure out ways to adapt… and accept that in some situations we are going to be outcompeted.

2 Likes

thats just, a huge bummer to watch.

1 Like

The ranking of every creature on Earth doesn’t go up just because dogs experience emotion; something just about anyone who has ever owned a dog could tell you. Jellyfish don’t even have brains.

1 Like