Jeopardy! contestant unintentionally predicted her winning dollar amount in a doodle before the show

Originally published at: Jeopardy! contestant unintentionally predicted her winning dollar amount in a doodle before the show | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Bookmarking this for inaugural installment of Count to 20,000.

6 Likes

Extrasensory Perception for $500

1 Like

OK, but given probability theory, this really isn’t so weird. The theoretical maximum winnings is $208,000, and the theoretical maximum loss is [mumble] so, she only had to pick the right number out of 200-mumble-thousand and … holy hell!

(Still, that’s about three orders of magnitude more likely than winning the PowerBall Lotto).

2 Likes

Fine, cool and all. But she spent a YEAR studying “wager theory” (is there such a thing?) in order to figure out that from a commanding first place you wager $1 more than the max the opponent could win? You could just watch, I dunno, Jeopardy for a year and figure that out.

1 Like

I watched one episode where the person in the lead set his wager, and accidentally waged an amount to LOSE by one dollar. He just stood there stunned.

4 Likes

Clearly needed a few more weeks of wager theory

1 Like

The trick is she was really nervous and made hundreds of thes doodles with different numbers. Then she just had to pick the right one afterwards.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Contestant in question here! Totally fair - how to wager when leading certainly didn’t take a year. How to wager when in 2nd or 3rd is a fair bit trickier and dependent on just how big the gaps in scores are (and I was in each of those situations in my first 2 games).

But the real backstory on the reference to a year of studying was that I was originally supposed to be on the show a year ago, but was rescheduled when COVID shut everything down. So I spent that year studying a lot of things, but a weekly review of a potential Final Jeopardy! scenarios and the optimal wager for each contestant was definitely part of that!

6 Likes

Wow, thanks for the kind response! I was kind of a jerk and you did not respond aggressively. I appreciate that. And, to be fair, I could probably claim that I was talking about bad journalism (not by of Boingboing, who are aggregators) but I honestly didn’t think that deeply about it.

ETA: And congratulations on your success and the cool side story!

1 Like

Congrats on your win!

Koreantaghi5 Reaction GIF

2 Likes

Thanks! (And thanks to @mindysan33 as well)

Trust me - you didn’t come off as a jerk. After my tweet spread around and got picked up by various news sources, I quickly learned NOT to venture into the comments. The ones here have been the nicest :slight_smile: (and the only ones where folks seem to understand that I was betting what I needed to do to win – and not to match up with my drawing in order to make a tweet go viral; winning was the only thing on my mind in that moment!)

4 Likes

Sadly, most comment boards on the internet are dumpster fires… we’re lucky to have good moderation and a bunch of smart, geeky posters who don’t put up with that kind of thing.

We hope you stick around! Welcome to boing boing!

Come In The Good Place GIF by Global TV

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.