Jeremy Renner insists that Black Widow is a slut

So, when a man calls a woman a slut, it isn’t quite the same thing as a man calling himself a slut.

I cannot help but feel, here, that Renner has a problem with Scarlett Johansson that might be animating all this.

9 Likes

I don’t think this is the right approach.

1 Like

Put your efforts, time, money, and energy on causes than can be fixed.

Internet commentator, heal thyself.

10 Likes

Not knowing Renner or Avengers history, I thought this might be about him saying that the character is a slut and that it’s just part of who she is as a character, which I would have thought was perfectly fine. After reading it, it just looked to me like he wanted to debase the character for some weird reason, which I don’t understand.

Can there be a rule where men who don’t approve of women having sex, don’t have sex with women? Why is that not a thing?

1 Like

No no, characters, not actors. I think he implied that Black Widow banged Cap, Hulk, etc, because there is implied sexual tension between her (because she sexy) and them (because they sexy), even though there is zero evidence to support such a thing.

Essentially, I agree with Rob, that Renner (the man, not the character) has some serious issues with women. Or, y’know, he’s jealous because he’s the least bangable Avenger (both man and character).

2 Likes

Having read The Ethical Slut, I’m inclined to say it’s high time for sluts everywhere to take ownership of the term, and work towards shaming those who’d use it as a pejorative.

…Yeah, having a lot of sex is bad thing. Right.

Down with uptight fuckwits!

8 Likes

Or, y’know, he’s jealous because he’s the least bangable Avenger (both man and character).

This.

2 Likes

Like working out the issues with fundamental misuse of language to demean modes of behavior? Or do you mean, like, potholes?

6 Likes

FYI [eta] SPOILERS!!!:

2 Likes

Mmm, really not sure you’ve looked at Mr. Renner in detail.

3 Likes

Aw dude. Spoiler alert.

Oh! Sorry! I should have mentioned that! I was spoiled too, but others may care more. I’ll had a spoiler alert to the thing!

FTA:

He gets “playboy” as an accolade, but the Black Widow is somehow a slut.

I think it’s even more divisive than that, he undoubtedly is a slut (from within that perspective) but because he’s a guy, it gets morphed into an accolade.

The issue with the toys seems to be an entire business model based around the same idea as “I’d like to rent you a room, but the other tenants are racist and I’d lose my business”. No one seems to be willing to take the first step to create the market and the weight of that non-existence ‘proves’ it won’t work.

As for the red ledger not being about her brainwashed assassinations of innocent people, as I’ve said elsewhere, I think that’s a misleading conflation. She was empathising with the Hulk on a different level than she empathised with Hawkeye in the original, when he was also brainwashed to kill people.

That aside, Johansen deserves her own film, the character deserves her own film and she sure shouldn’t have to live in Cap’s shadow for the Civil War movie without such an arc in front of her.

Maybe they’ll give her a TV series but I kinda feel like that would be an even bigger insult.

1 Like

Weirdly, this entire incident goes further to characterize Jeremy Renner than the parade of stock characters he plays in movies.

Because we’d go extinct.

1 Like

Just glancing at the post, I thought for a confused moment that Renner was saying that Hawkeye had slept with 4 or 5 of the Avengers, and that Hawkeye was a slut.

Kinda disappointed to read the actual facts of the matter.

Are you honestly suggesting that every man disapproves of women having sex? This seems improbable to me. And why then do people fail to act upon environmental risks of extinction?

Be the world without sexism. People are just people, don’t jump to conclusions about anybody you don’t know. To outgrow these stereotypes about people, we need to let them go.

I… you… then we… what?

I think it has to do with fedoras impeding circulation in the head.

What I mean is that the key to getting rid of sexism is people understanding that:

1. What sex people are is almost never relevant to anything. What percentage of time does your average person actually spend combining genes with others? Other than this tiny amount for some people, it’s not generally relevant to anything, it’s subjective.

2. Unless you’re in somebody’s clothes with them, you don’t actually know what sex they may be anyway. Have Renner or Johansen publicly stated that they are man or woman? Hardly anyone ever does this, in my experience.

So, we can just treat people equitably. And create our “types” based upon actually knowing individuals, rather than trying to fit them into preconceived categories.

Why are you telling me this?