Jerry Seinfeld teases that a Seinfeld reunion may be in the works (video)

Originally published at: Jerry Seinfeld teases that a Seinfeld reunion may be in the works (video) | Boing Boing

1 Like

No, thanks. It was a product of its time, and it ended the way it should have ended, punishing the four main characters for being just awful people, which they always were. I don’t think that show works today. Not everything needs to be rebooted or caught up with.

13 Likes

They already did a good reunion on Curb. Seinfeld was a great show that still holds up, but they’re probably haunted by the misstep of the finale.

5 Likes

The Micheal Richards episode of Comedians in Cars was cringe worthy and sad at best. Really don’t need to see that energy again.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a reunion of the show but if I’m being totally truthful I wouldn’t watch it. I don’t feel compelled to catch up with the gang, the original show was great and I want it to stay as is.

3 Likes

… not just their characters either

4 Likes

Just read yesterday that Frasier has been rebooted. I guess 90s cis-male white comedians are having a moment…

3 Likes

Ugh. The juxtaposition of that car, that power and privilege (unearned in my humble opinion…never thought he was funny) and punching down at the unhoused. It’s the kind of joke Elon would tell.

6 Likes

Bad advice

Excited Gold GIF

5 Likes

The team would be wise to look at what happened to the “re-discovery” of friends 5 or so years ago. A huge resurgence of interest and new fans, but then eventually the slow grind of realization that the show was VERY much of its time, including the glaring whiteness of it, the “boys and girls are different!” level comedy and other jokes that didn’t age. Trying to do this with a show that has all the same baggage, PLUS a major anchoring star with racist outbursts in his (recorded) past? Yikes.

Will and Grace managed to pull off a pretty successful return. The new seasons felt like a continuation of what was fun about the original, and really didn’t change much. It was strange to see just how comforting it could be to enjoy a competently written sitcom with a laugh track.

2 Likes

I’m sure Seinfeld might’ve found some kind of success even without the show, but the reason the show itself was hugely influential and funny was because of Larry David.

2 Likes

It’s a reunion about nothing.

7 Likes

I hated it then, I can’t image I’d like it any better now. Actually no, wait. I’m far less likely to see an episode in syndication now while waiting for something I want to watch to come on.

Oh dear gods, why?!?!? I’m even happier about the age of streaming now. It makes it so much easier to avoid these things.

6 Likes

Haha, Well, he already was pretty darned successful, just not more-money-than-some-countries’-GDP successful.

1 Like

So the “show about nothing” will continue to tell more stories about nothing?

Meh, pass.

1 Like

I saw that. Apparently the premise is that Frasier has moved back to Boston because call-in talk radio psychiatrists aren’t a thing anymore so he’s having to do something different with his life, and he’s trying to connect with his now adult son, who has become a blue collar firefighter similar to Frasier’s cop dad. Which doesn’t make any sense because he was raised by Lilith, who’s as much of an elitist academic as Frasier, and he was raised in Boston so he had little exposure to his grandfather. So it sounds like it’s going to be Frasier, with the father and son roles swapped, but told from the perspective of the father because Kelsey Grammar isn’t about to play second fiddle to anyone. Yeah, it sounds like a surefire hit to me!

2 Likes

Every shot from “Seinfeld” (1989-1998) where nothing happens.

2 Likes

Impressive. That’s a whole lotta nothing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.