Jibo the social robot announces that its VC overlords have remote-killswitched it, makes pathetic farewell address and dances a final step

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/05/jibo-swansong.html

7 Likes

Aibo may have been stupid and overpriced, but at least it wasn’t tethered to the goddamn cloud.

15 Likes

Sony…fixed…that particular feature in the most current release. A subscription to Aibo’s cloud features is exciting and mandatory.

19 Likes

The secondary market will not be kind to these garbage robots.

14 Likes

Well… I suppose they can be stripped for parts?

5 Likes

OH wow - so your $900 toy is now bricked? I’d be pretty pissed.

13 Likes

Depending on how hostile the onboard computer is they might be considered attractive with the right price cut.

If it’s something remotely mainline that hasn’t been locked down it might even be a flash 'n go operation.

If you have to rip the controller out because it’s an unsupported mess or the crypto bootloader has tivioized it competently the discount will need to be bigger; but unless the build quality is utter trash it will still probably be of interest to someone.

2 Likes

Well, their support page’s cert expired 32 days ago; and throws a 502 if you forge ahead anyway. I think that tells us something.

1 Like

Right now they’re stuck between garbage curiosity at 200 USD and will never be made again collectors item at 1,200 USD on ebay. Yeah, if it gets rooted and has decently accessible APIs it could be fun.

8 Likes
22 Likes

Gaaahhhhh I was just about to hit post.

12 Likes

My favorite movie of all time.

3 Likes

One my favorites as well.

1 Like

I sometimes dream of having a reserved suite in the Hilton and eating breakfast in the Earthlight Room.

7 Likes

Or if you have a basement and some basic remodeling skills…

2 Likes

No, it lives better in my mind.

4 Likes

This is amazing. Instead of just breaking, they play a message to make the owner sad, do a dance, and then break. This feels like a whole new level of pathological behavior. Maybe corporations are becoming people.

22 Likes

One of the best scenes of all time. Once he gets his helmet on Dave says nothing. Nothing! The whole time as he unplugs/murders Hal. Then Hal asks if Dave would like to hear a song… and Dave says “Sing it for me Hal! Sing it!”

I used that to start a few mix tapes back in the day.

7 Likes

Not enough movies know how to use silence.

10 Likes

“Server-tethered” devices that become useless if the online service shuts down should be supplied on a rental or subscription basis. At least then customers won’t have invested money in hardware that is now worthless.

3 Likes