Sony re-introduces the Aibo robotic puppy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/01/sony-re-introduces-the-aibo-ro.html

Monthly subscription? Get outta here…

5 Likes
1 Like

Does it come with surveillance? That’s what dogs are for, right?

6 Likes

Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks…

3 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be available in the US. Bummer.

I estimate we are five years from this.

1 Like

Sounds pretty expensive…

BUT, I just coughed up over $4k on an aging cat that went and dies anyway, so over long run maybe not so much but with these advantages:

1. Doesn’t piss on your bed when your out
  2. Doesn’t cough up hair balls/yuk all over your stairs when it’s annoyed
  3. Doesn’t cause various friends to stop visiting due to allergies
2 Likes

Oh boy, hackers are going to have a field day with these.

1 Like

CONNECT THE DOTS (er, rather DOGS? BOTS?) PEOPLE. . .

For $1700 and a monthly fee, it better be able to get me beer out of the fridge.

3 Likes

I wonder if Sony set it to just shut down in absence of an active subscription; or if they went for the heartstrings and added the ability for the bot to emulate progressively more intense suffering when deprived of a hookup to the mothership?

(edit: like those rabbits in Second Life; but with more room for emotional engagement and interactivity. Watch your poor robo-pal get weaker and hungrier; feel your heart sink when the sight of a credit card(should be within the capabilities of the sensors described) that just might buy a life-giving subscription extension inspires an outburst of frenzied hope and gratitude, of the sort only a hungry puppy can truly pull off; feel like you are objectively hitler when you put the card away without helping your buddy out and it sinks the the floor with a whine of unbearable sorrow and a soulful betrayed stare… Emotional engagement, people!)

4 Likes

“The object in constructing me was to prevent war. This object is attained. I will not permit war. It is wasteful and pointless. An invariable rule of humanity is that man is his own worst enemy. Under me, this rule will change, for I will restrain man.”

3 Likes

That was a movie that I didn’t like on first viewing, but I found I liked it more and more upon further viewings.

Losing hope for sexbots, if they can’t even get a dog right.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.