Video, someone strapped a submachine gun on a $3,000 AliExpress robot dog and it's damn scary

Originally published at: Video, someone strapped a submachine gun on a $3,000 AliExpress robot dog and it's damn scary | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I’m not sure if the incessant clacking of the “feet” is more or less intimidating than the silent roll of a dalek.

17 Likes

That’s close to MDK from way back:

Crazy how close we are getting to Black Mirror territory and that Metalhead episode in particular…

12 Likes

Battlestar Galactica Robot GIF

17 Likes

This is fine.

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

20 Likes

I guess for $3k, the motor controller software does not have a way of providing a way to steady the robot to deal with the recoil.

And, yes, this is terrifying.

21 Likes

Rev 2 will mount the barrel lower to reduce torque.

12 Likes

Did no one watch the terminator?

8 Likes

In the end, all that robot-kicking worked well as training for higher caliber weapons…

7 Likes

I don’t know.

If you attached a machine gun to the rotor of a washing machine on spin cycle, it’d probably be scary.

Same could be said of a Roomba except that the recoil would probably knock it over.

Or a flesh and blood dog, for that matter.

7 Likes

There are $3k AliExpress dog robots?

20 Likes

I’d say this is actually evidence that this type of robot would be a very poor choice for mounting a weapon to.

People are being killed every single day by remote operated drones that are virtually autonomous. They don’t need it to look like a dog to be terrifying.

16 Likes
6 Likes

Apparently so, of all sorts. Here’s one in that price range.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002834923772.html

9 Likes

also I think I need to stay out of any evil laboratories or such - something about the clips is just delightful to me - the silly way they’ve strapped the rifles on top, the fairly complex balance system reacting to the recoil, the view from the lil scope-cam…

6 Likes

Less ‘scary’, more ‘terrifying’, with a giant heaping helping of ‘for the love of all that is holy, WHY!?!’ on top of it all.

If anyone does that, please let me know so I can get to a safe distance… like behind the moon.

Yeah. there’s more stable ways to make an armed kill drone. The cops already have them. (a bomb squad robot can usually be equipped with one.)

7 Likes

Oooh, they have a coupon for $3 off. Shipping is $1200 tho.

18 Likes

The video of the guy who put a handgun on his RC Heli was way more frightening to me.
And that was before drones were a thing.
Very little recoil, with the blades acting as a giant ass gyroscope.

4 Likes

They must not give a fuck about safety in Russia. They were for sure launching rounds over the berm. :confused:

8 Likes

6 Likes