John Hodgman endorses Hillary Clinton

If nothing else, John Hodgman is a Yale man.

6 Likes

A pre-convention endorsement of Clinton makes a lot more sense if heā€™s in his ā€œDeranged Millionaireā€ character.

1 Like

Behind on my UK politics. A common affliction among Americans. But I am a Mitchell and Webb fan, can you elucidate briefly?

5 Likes

Iā€™m being totally unfair on the guy. I like him a lot.

But Webb was a vocal supporter and member of the Labour Party in the run-up to the election, but was very critical of Corbyn and ended up resigning his membership. He copped a lot of online abuse for it.

3 Likes

Wellā€¦he is a Wall Street billionaireā€¦
The Daily Show - 2015: A Space Gated Community - YouTube
Video for john hodgman billionaire
:arrow_forward: 5:10

Apr 24, 2015 - Uploaded by Comedy Central
John Hodgman bids farewell to Earth and joins an exclusive group of billionaires in a gated community on ā€¦

3 Likes

seriously? even after he explicitly says heā€™ll support Sanders should he win the nomination? And makes a very reasonable appeal to remember weā€™re all fellow human beings, some of just have different opinions?

ok.

5 Likes

Careful now, some of these folk are really excitable.

3 Likes

#THATS JUST THE SORT OF THING YOU CLINTONAZIS LIKE TO SAY WHEN YOUR NOT OUT THERE GRUBBING FOR MONYE FROM BIG CROPOTATIONS 

13 Likes

31 Likes

#TRASH 80 4 LYFE!

15 Likes

Iā€™m sorry? Iā€™m obligated to like him just the same becauseā€¦ What exactly? Itā€™s not like weā€™re buddies. I thought he was funny in that thing and now I find him less benign.

6 Likes

Sure, fine, it even makes sense. As has been pointed out, most of the support for candidates really does follow the flowchart:

John is a decent enough fellow and isnā€™t going to think women arenā€™t people. He clearly also doesnā€™t think things are broken, and in fact that seems to be the only real reason he gives for endorsing Clinton. He calls for continuing the gains made by Obama, which makes sense if you think he put things on track. He talks about the economic right being in disarray, which makes sense if you suppose the neoliberalism supported by Clinton is something other than the economic right.

He says this sounds pretty conservative, and it is, and maybe thatā€™s just who he is now, and fair enough. As Bemopolis says, heā€™s a Yale man. The world isnā€™t so broken for people like that, or for the people they spend most of their time worrying about. Myself, Iā€™m not so conservative, and I think the world is plenty broken for a lot of people he isnā€™t considering.

America is dealing with real problems, not just passing issues but structural problems. People are dealing with permanent-looking economic hardship coupled with the lack of a proper social safety net, lack of things like public health care you find in every first world country, and those are the result of a system the 1% have co-opted to cater mostly to themselves. Right now there is a huge crisis of refugees from the Middle East, and no small portion of it is the result of a climate crisis that neoliberals arenā€™t particularly interested in tackling, and a ruinously destabilizing war that they started. Those things topple vulnerable places like Syria first, but America has its own environmental issues coming up.

And when you look at where Clinton stands on all these, well. Iā€™m glad to hear youā€™re not so far over that you wouldnā€™t accept Sanders second, Hodgman, but as to your first choice I have to disagree completely. Itā€™s very much the conservative choice, and the world is already choking on those.

20 Likes

oh god, when you said

I thought you were talking about John Kasich, and wow was I confused

3 Likes

I have nothing to do with Kanyeā€™s brother or his crop rotations.

1 Like

See, this is my problem with the whole idea of endorsements in general. They always come from people who have a voice. People with enough rights and enough money. Donā€™t get me wrong, when it runs the other way, I donā€™t feel much differently. I donā€™t feel like it strengthens the argument for Sanders that Rosario Dawson endorses him. Itā€™s all sort of disturbing argument from (often irrelevant) authority.

The endorsement of economically impoverished black citizens in the South, by voting, was discounted by some, and even mischaracterized as the support of white conservatives.

1 Like

[Who?]

Donā€™t insinuate. Step right into it please.

I will point this out with regards to my main point though: How many of those black voters published in advocacy of Clinton? Was it a relatively privileged minority? Because thatā€™s what endorsements are unless weā€™ve radically redefined the term.

1 Like

And today, I unsubscribe from ā€œJudge John Hodgmanā€ and end my monthly donation to Maximum fun network. Sad day indeed.

1 Like

Heā€™s a great entertainer, heā€™s worked at it and is very good at it. Heā€™s a poor political commentator as heā€™s just displayed he completely useless at it (ā€œconservatives are dangerous, we really need to continue to pursue a progressive agenda, so vote for the less progressive Democratā€). Iā€™ll still enjoy the work heā€™s good at just as much, though.

3 Likes

As a reader of his books, blog, and Twitter feed, I respect John Hodgman, and I also respect this decision and his reasons for making it. Heā€™s a bright fellow with well-thought-out, non-kneejerk opinions.

This is what I donā€™t understand. Why is it a sad day that he expresses his opinion and the reasons for it, in a statement where he explicitly says that he likes Bernie and will support him in the election?

6 Likes