John Lennon on his first acid trip

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/26/john-lennon-on-his-first-acid.html

In 1965, John Lennon, George Harrison, Cynthia Lennon, and Pattie Boyd were having dinner at a dentist friend's house. The dentist put LSD in their coffee without telling them first.
God damned fuckin' dentists!

I wish my dentist would do stuff like give me trips: mine just does horrible stuff like drill holes in my teeth.

Which is like a bad trip brother.

You’re a rabid anti-dentite! Oh, it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. “Hey, denty!” Next thing you know you’re saying they should have their own schools.

Look, I don’t want them hanging around my kids. We’re a gastroenterology family and we always will be! I don’t need them moving in to my neighborhood and marginally changing it’s real estate values! Down with Dentrification!

My dentist has totally ruined the potential for recreational nitrous use for me; I get paranoid and expect people to stick metal things in my mouth. (OTOH, my nitrous trips at the dentist tend to consist of falling asleep after some initial confusion and a few interruptions of “turn your head the other way”.)

A friend of mine gets migraines, but isn’t interested in trying low-dose LSD to see if it helps. Her one experience with the stuff was getting dosed back in the 70s, which was an 18-hour bad trip (probably 500mcg, and she probably weighed 100 pounds back then.)

Do dentists still use nitrous oxide? Mine talks about it as if it was something the Victorians did before quick acting, quick finish anaesthetics.

A destist I went to in 2012 to fix a broken tooth had it available. This was the first and only time I have used it. It was wonderful.

Everything horrible that was happening in my mouth — all the drilling, injections and so forth — seemed to be happening many feet away. It all seemed like a dream.

The piped-in music seemed to be an unending loop of some musical phrase from an 80s song I couldn’t quite remember. I had the pleasant sensation of falling through an infinite void, which I hadn’t experienced since I was a child.

And when it was over, the gas was turned off and I left with a great feeling of calm.

In short, you should ask for it.

What if your dentist gets a little high from your exhalations while he’s working?

Didn’t seem to bother him.

(Actually, it was a her)

I’d been having balloons and bulbs of nitrous at raves for a few years when a friend turned up to a party with a 9lb tank and a scuba regulator. It was the only time I’ve ever given it a really good go, and it was much more psychedelic and dissassociative (like K) than I expected.

The most disconcerting part was the come down. Not bad, just a Groundhog Day-like experience of thinking “wow, I’m straight now, that was weird”, before thinking ten minutes later, "oh wait, NOW I’m straight… "

The best way to have nitrous is just a balloon when you’re on acid. It’s like hitting the teleport button.

Wow, that article is good reading.

I’ve taken LSD many a time, but I have decided that I would prefer future partners of mine to have tried it at least once, to avoid the different outlook schism that Lennon and McCartney experienced.

The Beatles did their best work on acid. Steve Jobs had his greatest insights on acid. Watson and Crick discovered the shape of DNA on acid. Why the hell can’t I buy it at CVS?

Have you been smoking dope?

God, I wish.

Insert joke here with punchline "transcend dental medication."
Too lazy to type it all out, it’s been a long day for me.

Can I point out that George is driving his car on the wrong side.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.