John Oliver dared a coal exec to sue him, and now he's being sued

Seriously.
Also, as the kids say - “good luck with that”.

That was one of Oliver’s best segments ever. His show and Sam Bee’s show are two of the best for actual journalism on TV right now.

11 Likes

Paging Streisand, Esq.

14 Likes

On Wednesday, Murray filed suit against Oliver, HBO, and Time Warner…

Janice in accounting don’t give a fuck!

20 Likes

I live in WV, and believe me, coal is soooo over…

That many of the residents of the coal fields don’t want to believe this is understandable.

That our state government doesn’t want to believe this is (IMO) criminal.

23 Likes

Have you ever seen the Appalachians?

13 Likes

Is he suing the squirrel too? Just askin’ cuz I happen to know the guy inside there.

5 Likes

Just checked her twitter. Can confirm. None given.

15 Likes

I also recall that from the first sentence of the article.

10 Likes

That’s why it’s nice when other rich people deliberately draw fire from the assholes. For Oliver it’s just a bit of extra fun he can have in his show, probably boosting ratings too.

15 Likes

I was just thinking how awesome it would be if this goes to trial and Oliver’s side gets the squirrel to testify.

13 Likes

23 Likes

Conservatives start to make sense when you realize they are 100% projection.

15 Likes

“No puppet. No puppet. She’s the puppet.”

12 Likes

if the combination of hulk hogan and peter thiel hadn’t recently shuttered a major online news and gossip site i’d be more confident. is hbo going to be able to match the combined deep pockets of murray and his energy company cronies?

6 Likes

Since Murray is quoted in the piece as flatly contradicting Trump’s assertions that coal jobs are coming back, the more play this gets in conservative media the better.

10 Likes

Random fun fact, the tallest building in West Virginia is only three stories. Granted, it’s very nearly 300 feet tall, but it’s still kind of funny to see a bunch of 20+ story buildings get beat on a technicality.

3 Likes

Word of advice: never sue someone who buys broadcast time by the barrel.

8 Likes

Sure, but Hogan had a real case. The judgement against Gawker was absolutely insane, but unlike this, the case wasn’t complete bullocks.

4 Likes

Not true everywhere.

promising to pursue litigation to the nation’s highest courts

They’re promising to lose in the trial court and several rounds of appellate courts?

Winners win in dinky little courts and go home.

8 Likes