Watch John Oliver explain how a coal industry giant failed to sue him in to silence

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/11/watch-john-oliver-explain-how.html

13 Likes

The ending bit of this week’s episode was seriously amazing.

32 Likes

This was great. The fact that there’s a recognized acronym for these lawsuits shows that legislators should have recognized the problem by now, but they haven’t. It takes pressure from comedians to get them to do their job these days…

14 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN8bJb8biZU is the clip.

5 Likes

Murray is human filth.

It says a lot that in the US media has constantly overlooked and ignored that his refusal to follow basic mine safety and retreat mining led DIRECTLY to the death of nine people.

24 Likes

That was fucking epic!!!

12 Likes

:exploding_head:

Kick. Ass.

5 Likes

So will Bob Murray be too busy dealing with the bankruptcy of Murray Energy to sue John Oliver again for yesterday’s episode? If not, is the person who wrote the ACLU’s amicus brief still available to write the sequel?

The brief linked in that article is only 16 pages long, and it’s well worth reading at least the table of contents. The TOC lists a section titled ‘Anyone Can Legally Say “Eat Shit, Bob!”’

20 Likes

Hang on, I think my coal delivery is here…

2 Likes

Coal used to be cool…

4 Likes

Many of them have.

6 Likes

True, just not enough of them to get it done. There are always some legislators who remember why they’re there, and they do deserve recognition. Thanks for pointing this out!

3 Likes

Nicely restrained. Perfectly presented just so Murray can order the transcript and present it directly to his favorite judge in his favorite state, while wearing only his diaper and bawling his eyes out.

5 Likes

That ending was epic.
John Oliver is a treasure.
Am I a bad person for hoping that a certain geriatric Dr. Evil saw this dance number and got an aneurism from rage?

11 Likes

That the map of states without SLAPP laws includes some of the states with the highest US poverty rates is some sick plutocratic shit.

16 Likes

“Seems nice, tommy boy! Seems real nice!” and “Bob! You’ve done it again, you clever little coal goblin!” while bouncing up and down. I’m still chuckling over those!

6 Likes

Read the whole thing, folks. You won’t be disappointed.
Highlights include:

Plaintiffs argue that Defendants will use their “unique powers” to “access . . . millions of West Virginians, to bias the potential jurors who will determine their fate.” Pl’s Mem. at 3. (These special powers must include magic, as West Virginia has under 2 million residents.).

and

It is apt that one of Plaintiffs’ objections to the show is about a human-sized squirrell named Mr. Nutterbutter, because this case is nuts.

8 Likes

I thought “Good Lord no, he’s going to…”

Then he did.

And it was good. John, you magnificent bastard.

8 Likes

Credit cards demonstrate that so long as there is one or two states without regulations it often doesn’t matter what the other states do. Because CC companies are all headquartered in one of the two states that do not have usury laws that set maximum interest.

5 Likes

For those interested, Genius has the lyrics to Eat Shit Bob!

5 Likes