John Romero on the birth of iD Software

Originally published at: John Romero on the birth of iD Software | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Did anyone ever call it I.D. Software for longer than they care to admit?

I’ll get me coat…

7 Likes

A… are you telling me it isn’t pronounced like that?

5 Likes

I thought that Inxs and In Excess were two different bands.

10 Likes

As a twenty-something, I sent ID Software a demo on a floppy disk and called them up to pitch me as their next hot developer, when they were, I think, six people. I spoke to Tom Hall, who was very kind and only laughed a little.

11 Likes

Poor guy will never live that one down. Especially the whole marketing campaign (“John Romero will make you his b*tch.”), which I understand he had nothing to do with and really wasn’t happy with. When he was heading up an MMO studio some years back, near one I was working in, we crossed paths with him and his team and I worked with some of his former coworkers, and apparently that ad was routinely referenced in their office, in ways that had gone beyond teasing and become weird in-jokes. I hope he’s got a sense of humor about it, at least.

7 Likes

That is precisely what i’m telling you.

4 Likes

Beach reading: I recommend “You” by Austin Grossman, set in a fictional game company from around the same time as ID. Also, “Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow” covers similar ground.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.