JOHN WILCOCK: Writing 'The Autobiography and Sex Life of Andy Warhol'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/31/john-wilcock-writing-the-au.html

2 Likes

I always pictured S.C.U.M as being a cutting of a specific part of a man, which would put a damper on someone’s sex life.

2 Likes

i thought andy warhol was ace?

Asexual? No. He sort of cultivated that image, or at least his aloofness lead people to believe he was asexual or celibate (or even a life-long virgin) but he was gay and he did have a sex life, including a long-term partner Jed Johnson.

4 Likes

Cool! I know very little about Warhol I’ll have to read up. Seems like a very interesting guy. (In a good way)

3 Likes

Wilcox: “Warhol would naturally become one of the most marketed personalities of the last half century…”

Nothing natural about it. Andy marketed himself vigorously, cannily & constantly. Jack Smith, who actually photographed men in drag long before Warhol did, used to rave: “He sold them the packaging! And they bought it!” Jack himself was far too eccentric a package for the American artworld to accept…It was only years after his death that the Whitney bought his entire archive. I’ve often wondered what he might have produced had that recognition come earlier.
Screenshot_2020-01-26 #jacksmith hashtag on Instagram • Photos and Videos(2)

4 Likes

If it wasnt Andy Warhol writing the autobiography, then its not an autobiography, it’s a biography.

1 Like

Yeah, fuck you Toklas.

5 Likes

I have great respect for Andy because of his mind – but how can someone intelligent like this surround himself with so many dreary uneven people?

The book Edie quotes Warhol, regarding Solanis, as follows:

I was always frightened of strange people.

1 Like

Did I just waste a few minutes reading a cartoon commercial?

I am dissapoint,son. Oh, well, Thats Boing Boing these days.

1 Like

I’ve got to admit that I thought it was very appropriate given the subject matter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.