Johnny Nash (“I Can See Clearly Now”) has died, singer-songwriter was 80

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/06/johnny-nash-i-can-see-clearly-now-has-died-singer-songwriter-was-80.html

10 Likes

Sorry to hear that. I grew up on his music, and really loved that song when I was a kid.

7 Likes

johnny nash too? goddammit, i hate today so much.

7 Likes

OMG, we play his music all the time at laughter yoga. :sob: RIP Johnny Nash.

3 Likes

I always thought that song sounded like Reggae. I grew up with Jamaican neighbors so I was into it before it was hip.

2 Likes

Such a great song, and a remarkable man. Without him, we might not have known about Bob Marley, and Nash’s support and promotion of Reggae helped pave the way for its take over of the world music scene. I owe a lot to him for my love of Marley and Jimmy Cliff and others.

5 Likes

i heard this morning on NPR’s remembrance of him that he moved to Jamaica in the late 60s, i think, and he is the one who discovered Bob Marley and brought him and the reggae sound to the U.S., so the connection you made makes total sense.

3 Likes
3 Likes

“I Can See Clearly Now” was probably the very first reggae-beat song I ever heard. Something about its very simple message is eternal, and it’s hilarious to think Nash wrote it after cataract surgery. “I can see all obstacles in my way” indeed!

1 Like

Well, I’ll be damned. The world is full of weird and wonderful surprises.

1 Like

Listen to I can see clearly now and then watch this:

for the juxtaposition

This makes me sad; it’s such a lovely bittersweet song.

Grosse Pointe Blank opens with this song, and it’s a powerful part of the awesome soundtrack.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.