Join in a live chat today about antibiotic resistance

[Permalink]

I have periodic immunodeficiency for reasons no one can yet figure out, but I’m otherwise healthy. I try to be very careful about exposure but I still rely on a variety of antibiotics a few times a year to get over sinus infections, or more serious infections. I recently read a report by the CDC that says we will soon be living in a post-antibiotic age. What can I do? Move somewhere with low population density? Am I just doomed?

Who determines how death certificates are filled out? Is it a branch of government that oversees it or the AMA?

How is it possible that the government sees value in reporting contaminated food or drugs, but doesn’t make it a requirement that hospitals report an antibiotic resistant outbreak within their institution?

Not a question, just a polemic observation:
Hospital contamination control is usually quite poor.
They really need to do some training that gives direct feedback on good/bad practices.
One thing that I often observe is a worker going directly from patient contact to using a computer/clipboard/etc – no glove removal or hand cleaning – that item now becomes a potential source of infection for everybody after.
The workers need to have some sort of periodic training with a “patient” that has some sort of fluorescing material on them – let the worker take care of the “patient” and then take a look at the room under UV light when they are done. I think that would be more effective than reminders to wash hands or wear gloves. One problem with the “wear gloves” approach is that workers often don’t change the gloves often enough – they start thinking of the gloves as something to protect themselves rather than something to prevent the spread of contamination.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.