Jordan B Peterson: Gish Galloping Simpleton, Simpering Surrogate Father Figure

That struck me at first as a gag, but from the article I see he shares the delusion that a lot of gay men do (I believe Dan Savage expressed similar opinions). I hope he’s gained some sense and perspective in the intervening years, especially after he got married.

ETA: adding to the above, apparently he was celibate for 17 years after university.

He said a number of things changed his mind about sex, including love.

“Love flicked the switch … I found someone. It just happened and that’s what allowed sex to take place.”

[source]

10 Likes

Well, the workplace for one. That place you’re supposed to leave politics out of. :wink: If you are not careful with your speech there, you will soon find yourself outside of your place of work.

4 Likes

I love this idea that women need “straight cruising areas” - I guess he’s never been to a night club? LOL

And yeah, Dan Savage still gets a side eye from me about that too.
How about, oh heres a novel thought, men that don’t have sex with women don’t speak with fake authority on womens sexuality? How about that? /sigh

12 Likes

I think there’s a difference between political correctnes – putting people on the rope for offending you – and being required to have a professional attitude in a workplace. Wouldn’t you agree?

P.S. I found a pretty good pic that sums up political correctness.

Welcome to the culture war of trying to define what PC is and isn’t.

ETA: You’d think, but I know plenty of conservatives who complain about modern professional norms being the consequence of our “out of control PC culture”. So no.

5 Likes

Well, that’s a good point. Cheers for the culture war. It would be a lot better if conservative guys didn’t get put on a media inquisition for being conservative, though, like JP. Glad to have guys like Stephen Fry on this side of the issue of political correctness, though.

ETA: You’d think, but I know plenty of conservatives who complain about modern professional norms being the consequence of our “out of control PC culture”. So no.

Never heard of such a conservative. It seems pretty reasonable to me that professional behavior is required in a workplace, so long as it doesn’t adopt actual PC ideas.

Do not reply to me or use my name or refer me to any other fashion, I haven’t replied to you so do not reply to me. This is your only warning. @orenwolf please take note.

10 Likes

That would exclude a lot of conservative pundits, Catholic priests, and members of the alt-right manosphere (including a lot of Jordaddy’s followers). Which is to say, right there with you.

12 Likes

Even speaking as a man who does, trying to speak with authority on women’s sexuality is fraught with peril.

7 Likes

Stephen is witty and clever and charming.

He’s also in possession of a hefty amount of unexamined privilege re: class, race and gender. And it shows.

10 Likes

Oh my, what a better world it would be if those types of men, especially, would just shut the fuck up about women and their lady parts!

Fuck off already, assholes!

9 Likes

Frye and Savage can both go blow themselves, as far as I’m concerned.

7 Likes

Just curious. What’s the oppression hierarchy? Or are my concerns correct; just identity politics that shouldn’t be mentioned in 2018 where we should be discussing in terms of individual, not group identity?

For many of us, we see ourselves as unique individuals, but to the average white America church is, we’re* just another uppity coloured. Ditto with company meetings; it doesn’t matter that mum attended Harvard, to the men she’s just another dumb lady who knows nothing and shouldn’t be in charge.

It’s all fine and dandy to preach individuality, but getting others** in society to see people as people is hard.

Kyriarchy is the term I’ve heard from others; a multidimensional series of privilege ladders with people shutting on the others less privileged. There’s a race ladder, a gender ladder, religion ladder, a sexuality ladder - if somebody can best down someone else over something, that ladder exists.

• I’m white passing, others not so fortunate
    ** White, men in particular
9 Likes

Women don’t like sex? How the fuck would he know?

12 Likes

Well obvs, because once he had sex with one.

13 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

No you’re not

yes

3 Likes

I never thought I’d say this, but this endless nonsense actually makes me almost miss Khepra.

6 Likes