An interview with Jordan Peterson, who believes in witches and dragons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/19/slave-dudes-of-gor.html

7 Likes

26 Likes

If religion didn’t get so much undeserved respect, he would sound exactly that crazy in real life.

19 Likes

“Something Awful” - Now that’s a name that I’ve not heard in a long time.

42 Likes

19 Likes

(reads NYT article)

(checks date, finds it is not April 1st)

(searches for a rational position on which to base a meaningful critique of a farcical ideology)

(does a spot of research on the internet, discovers that there is not enough eye-roll in the world to convey his incredulity)

(gives up, and pours an extra large whiskey)

40 Likes

Something Aweful is a satire site.

Unless you’re talking about the NYT article. I can’t comment on that as I can’t see it.

7 Likes

I read the NYT article. I don’t think it was a satire, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been taken in. Will look into it and report back…

9 Likes

He seems like the real deal to me. Grade A, USDA certified pig.

11 Likes

Or an A-list performance artist.

6 Likes

Yes, obvious satire is obvious. Actually, it’s not even satire so much as… absurdism? A more subtle satire could be hilarious, but this is clumsy and overstated. Where’s my Onion?

19 Likes

This month the “public intellectual” crowd is all abuzz with discussions of the “Intellectual Dark Web”, where Peterson is one of the deities. The thing about Peterson (and other IDW stars like Pinker and Weinstein and Shapiro) is that they are not stupid and their arguments are not fatuous, so – no matter how one feels about their often-repellent conclusions – casually dismissing their arguments probably just enhances their legitimacy.

15 Likes

What’s so wrong with “get your damn life together?” I’ve watched the guy quite a bit. That seems to be the core message. Grow up, be an adult, get your shit together. Maybe I’m horribly misinformed, but that seems like a rather great message.

11 Likes

Ah yes, women and minorities wouldn’t be so discriminated against if they’d just get their lives together.

28 Likes

And the kraken. And the Little Mermaid.

12 Likes

In and of itself, “Grow up, be an adult, get your shit together” isn’t a bad message. The problem is the heaping helpings of ultraconservative, MRA-style bullshit he dishes out with it.

Here are some quotes from the NYT interview:

Wherever he goes, he speaks in sermons about the inevitability of who we must be. “You know you can say, ‘Well isn’t it unfortunate that chaos is represented by the feminine’ — well, it might be unfortunate, but it doesn’t matter because that is how it’s represented. It’s been represented like that forever. And there are reasons for it. You can’t change it. It’s not possible. This is underneath everything. If you change those basic categories, people wouldn’t be human anymore. They’d be something else. They’d be transhuman or something. We wouldn’t be able to talk to these new creatures.”

The left, he believes, refuses to admit that men might be in charge because they are better at it. “The people who hold that our culture is an oppressive patriarchy, they don’t want to admit that the current hierarchy might be predicated on competence,” he said.

Violent attacks are what happens when men do not have partners, Mr. Peterson says, and society needs to work to make sure those men are married.
“He was angry at God because women were rejecting him,” Mr. Peterson says of the Toronto killer. “The cure for that is enforced monogamy. That’s actually why monogamy emerges.”
Mr. Peterson does not pause when he says this. Enforced monogamy is, to him, simply a rational solution. Otherwise women will all only go for the most high-status men, he explains, and that couldn’t make either gender happy in the end.
“Half the men fail,” he says, meaning that they don’t procreate. “And no one cares about the men who fail.”

Sorry, but this is not any kind of role model that I could ever endorse.

49 Likes

https://twitter.com/nzmccorm/status/997995651110588417?s=21

10 Likes

No one is against people getting their lives together; that’s pretty weak even for a strawman. The kind of thing which gets people angry are things like the following quotes from the NYT article. (Not the Something Awful parody.)

Violent attacks are what happens when men do not have partners, Mr. Peterson says, and society needs to work to make sure those men are married.

“He was angry at God because women were rejecting him,” Mr. Peterson says of the Toronto killer. “The cure for that is enforced monogamy. That’s actually why monogamy emerges.”

Mr. Peterson does not pause when he says this. Enforced monogamy is, to him, simply a rational solution. Otherwise women will all only go for the most high-status men, he explains, and that couldn’t make either gender happy in the end.

But aside from interventions that would redistribute sex, Mr. Peterson is staunchly against what he calls “equality of outcomes,” or efforts to equalize society. He usually calls them pathological or evil.

When Mr. Peterson talks about good women — the sort a man would want to marry — he often uses these words: conscientious and agreeable.

25 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the next president of the united states.

5 Likes

Fortunately, he was born in Canada!

19 Likes